Quin put hand on Jeremy's shoulder and squeezed.

"I promise on my honor. They will never want for anything. And if anything ever happens to you, I'll raise your child as mine, the same as you did for me with Naomi Beth."

Jeremy nodded. Tears streamed down his face as he wept unashamed. This was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do but he knew it was something he must do. He and Quin embraced and slapped each other on the back a few times. When they stepped away Jeremy looked to the door. Quinton nodded and returned to the buckboard.

It was a quiet ride back to the ranch. Vicky no longer fought to hold back her tears. She knew what was coming somehow. Jeremy was gone he wasn't coming back. He would die a violent death at the hands of cruel strangers, a victim of war. She shuddered at the thought of losing him.

Damn Old Charlie and his visions!

She shifted the sleeping toddler to relieve pressure on her belly as the baby began to protest. Quinton noticed and shifted the reigns so that he could take his daughter. Naomi Beth climbed over and snuggled into his arms without ever really waking. Vicky arched her back and attempted to rub out a catch that nagged her. The buckboard hit a rock and jolted.

"OUCH!" Her aching muscles protested as they strained to support the swollen womb.

"I'm sorry. Are you alright?"

Quinton winced in sympathy. He saw the pain in her face and thought of his Anne. Guilt burned deep within him, branding his heart with a pain so great that at times he thought the weight of it would crush him.

She saw something in his face. Was it a secret sadness or a hidden pain? She'd seen that look in his eyes a few times before. Whatever it was, it was a heavy burden that he carried alone and knew it troubled him deeply. She reached out her hand and touched his shoulder. The glance that he gave her was both sad and thankful.

The buckboard lurched as the horses pulled up the steep incline and she grabbed his arm to steady herself. She was suddenly exhausted. She yawned as she leaned over and settled her head on his shoulder. With another yawn she gave into a light sleep.

Quinton's heart was torn. He knew the pain of being without your family when duty called you elsewhere. He'd just spent a year on campaigns in Arizona and his daughter had grown so much in his absence.

At this very moment with his daughter resting on one shoulder and Vicky resting on the other, he felt like he could do anything in the world. It was this warm feeling of security, comfort, and acceptance that plagued him. Somehow he felt that he shouldn't be so content with his new lot in life while his best friend was so miserable.

---

The weeks went by very slowly for Vicky. She wasn't used to staying at home and she tried to keep herself busy. Little Naomi Beth was very happy that Capa and Mama were home so much now. As if she were afraid Vicky would change her mind and leave again, Naomi Beth took to following her around like a shadow, never letting her out of sight.

The first few days she nearly ran over Naomi Beth every time she turned around. Now, as she hung clothes on the line to dry, she had become used to having a shadow. On the occasions when Naomi Beth would wander, she would look around for the toddler and smile at her newest antics.

Quinton came in for every meal, except if he was going to the range. Vicky enjoyed these visits and found herself looking forward to meal times. With so much time on her hands suppertime was more than a quick stew. Often she would bake a pie or some cookies. Life would've been wonderful but for Jeremy's painfully obvious absence.

It was a pleasant surprise when Pappy came visiting Sunday afternoon two days before Christmas.

"I expected you'd be needing a doctor any day now but I haven't heard anything in town so I came to see for myself."

She enjoyed his visit heartily. He shared all the latest news that Ethel said he must tell her about. He kept the conversation light and cheerful. He spent time with Naomi Beth, playing horsy whilst Vicky prepared supper.

Quinton came in from breaking greens to saddle and he was jarred to his core. He was sore and looked forward to a hot supper and a hot bath. He felt lighter in his bone-weary steps. He also looked forward to hearing Vicky tell about Little Bit's antics of the day.

As he got near the house he noticed a horse tethered to the porch. Cato hadn't come for him, and no shots had been fired, so he squelched the panic that rose within him and assured himself that the visitor was a friend. He shrugged off his paranoia as he stopped at the well to wash up for dinner. As he walked up the steps, he pulled a kerchief out of his pocket and dried his hands.

He was still holding the kerchief in his hand when Vicky appeared in the doorway. She wore a calico outfit that she'd modified with quilt blocks for a ruffle at the bottom. It was his favorite. It was blue with little pink flowers. She wore her hair down, tied with a pink ribbon at the nape of her neck.

Her hair had really grown a lot these past months. It shone like the twinkle in her eyes as she greeted him. Her glee was contagious and he found himself smiling with her.

"We have company Quinton, Dear. Pappy has come to call!"

"Pappy. Pappy. Pappy." He heard his daughter chant followed by laughter and what he thought were horse sounds.

"They're playing horsy" Vicky whispered.

"We mustn't disturb them for fear of spooking the horse. He's green you know." She winked and they shared a secret smile as they walked through the kitchen to the room where the wild horsy roamed.

He never knew what to call this room but was the coziest room in the house. With the settee and the fireplace it was really the heart of their home. He always enjoyed spending evenings in here with his borrowed family. Vicky read or sewed. Little Bit always sat on his lap or at his side insisting on a story. Sometimes he would get out his guitar and sing silly cowboy songs.

On Sunday mornings after breakfast they took turns reading scripture and then while he played his guitar they sang hymns. She never complained that they always sang the same hymns and she never suggested he learn to play another. She just sang out in a voice that was like an angel's to him. It was always his favorite time. Afterward he'd go out and finish up anything that needed doing around the ranch.

"Quinton!"

"Capa!"

She slid down from Pappy's back and ran to his waiting arms for their usual hug and kiss. It was the way she always greeted him and he wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Vicky held out a hand and helped Pappy to his feet.

Quinton looked on while he held his daughter and thought briefly of Jeremy. As he often did, he thought Jeremy a fool for giving up all this, and vowed that he would never again let anything take him from his family.

They enjoyed dinner and the cookies Vicky had baked that afternoon.

"Molasses! You must have known I was coming. They're my favorite."

"Actually I didn't know they were your favorite, but now that I do, I'll make them every Sunday so that you will come and visit us."

"What a marvelous idea. Why didn't I think of it?"

They laughed as they had many times that evening. Naomi Beth finally fell asleep and was carried off to bed by Cato. The rest of them talked long into the night. Vicky sensed there was something troubling Edward, something he wanted to discuss but obviously not in her presence. She stood to excuse herself.

"If you gentlemen will excuse me, I'm really rather worn out." She crossed over and Edward stood to meet her.

She hugged him and bid him goodnight. She nodded her goodnights to the others and walked as quietly as she could to her room straining to hear what the news could be. As she suspected, they didn't want to discuss the news in front of her. Their voices were too low for her to hear anything. She shrugged and went to bed. She was surprised at how tired she really felt and fell asleep rather quickly.