Chapter Twelve: Dad, Homework, and Poison

Start from the beginning

“I’m glad you like it. I knew you enjoyed magical creatures, and that you had a talent for potions.”

Alison smiled again, “I wish I had gotten you something.” She said in a soft voice.

“Don’t worry about me. I am the one who has to make up for lost time.”

Alison turned her head to the side regarding him curiously, “I don’t blame you.” She said softly.

“Perhaps you should.” Snape said in a low and quiet voice. Alison just shook her head and stood up.

“I should go before Filch finds me out after hours.” She said. Snape stood as well and walked over to open the door for her. Alison stopped him and did something she never thought she would. She wrapped her arms around the man standing before her and hugged him. Snape stood frozen for a moment before hugging her awkwardly back. “Thank you again father.” She said softly.

Snape pulled away, his face more cheerful than Alison had ever seen, “That is enough of a present for me.” He said and opened the door for Alison.

Alison made her way to the portrait hole and stopped in front of it, “First day back and you’re out after hours?” the Fat Lady said in an annoyed voice. “Well you’re going to have to sit out here, the password has been changed.” She said and crossed her arms.

Alison groaned, “Honestly? I was with a teacher. And it’s not my fault I was away.”

“I don’t want to hear it.” The Fat Lady said to her.

“There you are Ali!” Colin said coming up behind her.

“And where have you been?” That Fat Lady asked eyeing Colin.

“The library,” He said defensively, “abstinence.” He said in a dry voice. The Fat Lady huffed but swung forward to let them in.

“How was your holiday?” Alison asked as she sat down at a table with Colin.

“Enjoyable, you?”

“I met the minister, had a vision, and witnessed mashed parsnips being thrown.”

“What a waste of mashed parsnips.” Colin said with a grin.

Alison laughed softly as May-Bell jumped into her lap.

“So your vision?” Colin prompted.

“I don’t want to discuss it.” Alison said in a dead voice.

“Fair enough.” Colin said, “Did you get all your homework done?” he asked raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah, after she ran around with George for two days.” Ginny said throwing herself into an empty chair. She looked moody and Alison suspected she had just gotten in a row with Dean.

“But you got it done?” Colin asked ignoring Ginny’s somber mood. He was as good at reading Ginny as he was Alison and knew that this was the kind of mood you didn’t question.

“Yes Col, I got it done.” Alison said with a laugh, “Stop worrying dear old father.” She said. Colin cracked a grin, “Just making sure.”

As term started their work load didn’t get any lighter. Not in the slightest. If anything it got heavier. The Professors began assigning a new paper every class and each became harder and lengthier than the last one. Alison was honestly close to her breaking point. She had already dissolved into tears in the middle of the library over a Herbology essay. Colin had taken the paper from her and written it for her while muttering that she shouldn’t get used to it. Alison had thanked him a hundred times.