Chapter 36 Nashville Symphony

Start from the beginning

"Well it's nice to see you too." He chuckles as we pull apart, he holds onto my hands as he looks at my dress.

"I'm sorry it's so plain, with the unfamiliarity of this whole thing I just thought-"

"You look beautiful. Like a dandelion growing in the middle of a yard."

I know he's talking about my yellow hair and that he's complimenting me. Still, I blush and glance down, fingering the scoop neckline and run my hand down the side of my skirt that trails all the way to the floor. It's sleeveless and without sparkle or frill, it was my mothers. I've never worn it before and was surprised when I tried it on that it actually fit. She always seemed so much larger than life I guess, so beautiful. I never thought I looked like her.

When I look back up I catch him smiling as he looks at me. "What?"

"Nothing... Nothing."

"What?" I'm slightly irritated, his smile is unnerving and making my hands shake.

"It's just nice to see you."

"Whatever, let's get going." I snag my heavy dress coat off of the hat rack by the door and usher Hunter out ahead of me.

In the car he keeps looking at me and smiling or rather holding back laughter.

"Okay, either tell me what is so funny or I'm getting out and walking." I'm done feeling like he's laughing at me.

"I just can't believe you're here."

"Oh..." I am not sure what else to say.

"And I'm just so happy about it."

"Thanks."

Hunter reaches into the center console and pulls out 2 tickets. "Here." I'm dropping you off at the door and I will find you at the seat."

"I- I haven't been here for 8 years." I get flustered, I can't help it. It's an unfamiliar situation that seems to be dragging a memory out of my subconscious.

"You'll be fine, it's on the floor... Half way up, left."

"Okay." I'm stuck in the memory of the last time I attended a concert. I wore a deep blue dress, I was 16, it was the last time I saw my parents truly happy together.

I can't remember who we saw or what we heard but I do remember sitting off to the side and watching my dad whisper something to my mom and she tried to contain her laughter as their fingers laced together. He reached over and kissed her cheek and she smiled so lovingly at her my heart just melted.

My eyes drift up to the ceiling as I step into the hall, the entry was packed and I couldn't stand it. My nerves are jangling and I'm trying to hold my composure. Finally the corresponding row shows itself and I take my seat, it's 2 seats on the end and I am grateful. Ducking my head as I wait for Hunter I don't dare look around.

The lights dim and I have to allow several people to slip past me. As I settle in for the final time I feel a hard shoulder against my own. "Good you got your coat checked. I almost forgot, sorry." Hunter whispers in my ear. I almost can't hear him over the orchestra's final tune up.

"Where were you?" I hiss back, he's been gone at least 20 minutes beyond what I had thought he would be.

"You want to do this and keep it quiet, this is one of the things I'll have to do. During intermission go up the stairs on the right and make an immediate turn at the landing, I'll be there."

I'm about to ask him what he's talking about when the music starts and I am pulled into the world of fast tempos and a jumpin' beat. I close my eyes to listen and take it in when someone starts singing. My hand jumps out of my lap and clamps down on Hunter's, it's instinct.

"You never told me Michael Bublé was going to be here tonight." I can't help from whispering as 'On The Street Where You Live' streams into my ears.

"You never asked."

When I look over at Hunter I see him holding back laughter. I shove him a little as he lets a single chuckle out and tries to pass it off as a cough.

After that I don't care where I am, or what I'm wearing, or who I'm sitting next to, or even what I'm doing here. I used to love this and I guess I never lost my appreciation for it.

As the last song of the first half ends I feel shifting and look over, Hunter is gone. I look back at the stage and applaud with the audience.

Before people can start milling around I sweep out of my seat and try to remember what Hunter said. As I climb the stairs I look back nervously and make sure no one is watching. People haven't started their decent from the balconies but I can hear them approaching.

I round the corner and see what Hunter is talking about, it's an empty booth that overlooks the floor. Hunter stands at the edge looking down, it's rather dark and a perfect quiet spot in a chaotic situation.

"I borrow this from a friend. Seems like such a shame... He barely ever comes." Hunter must have heard me, he turns and holds out one of the wine flutes he is holding in his hands.

"Did you bring her here?" I want to bite back the question as soon as I ask it, his face twitches just the smallest amount.

I take the seat nearest to me and put my head in my hand. "I'm sorry. I'm just trying to come to terms with all of this."

"What do you mean?"

"That I'm here... With you. When you could be with any other girl, anyone more interesting or fun... But you're stuck with me."

"Leah," Hunter sits next to me and puts his hand on my shoulder, I can't stop from looking at him, "there's no one else I would rather be here with." His eyes are locked with mine, a moment of clarity in a sea of confusion.