Chapter 1. || "new college year, new... roommate?"

Boston, Massachusetts

7 moths before. 

* * *

There was a knock on the door and I got out of bed, my tangled hair covering my eyes, making me stumble across the room. I opened up the door as I rubbed her eyes, but then realized there was no one standing outside. I got my head out of the room and took a little glance at the hallway. No sight of anyone. I closed the door to then drop my sight to the floor, where I found a letter with the university's stationery. It was address to Miss Underwood, Girls dorm., Room 104. I yawned and made a confused face. Last time I got a letter like this was the time I was informed I got the scholarship, so I expected something good from it. 

I opened it up and read it. 

October 13th, 2011. 

Studies Control Dept. 

Dear Miss Underwood: 

As you may know, the school year is starting, which means there are several new students in the institution. It is my duty to inform you that since Miss Herzig quit last year and moved to California, you have been reassigned with a new roommate. Her name is Roxanne Monroe and she's a transfer from Boston University. She's on her third year on medicine. 

We all hope you can get along with each other and wish you and Miss Monroe the best in this new college year. 

With all due regard; 

Mr. McConaughey

Studies Control Dept. Dean. 

The letter ended and I felt my heart dropping to the floor. What was that all about? I haven't even got the chance to get over Mary first. My life was going from bad to worse. I still remembered all those bitter words Mary had said to me on that phone call. all those years in college, I just wanted to be with you because of your good notes, but I DON'T NEED YOU ANYMORE. Thanks for all the A+ you gave me in college. They were totally worth nothing. Just remembering them made me want to cry. 

I dropped to the bed with the letter in my hands, trying to figure out how I was going to tell the Dean I wanted to be by myself without a roommate without getting kicked out from the college. I sighed and dedicated an empty stare at the wall, when someone knocked on the door and set me out of my thoughts. 

I stood up again without wanting, and oppened up the door to a smily girl on the other side. At first, I was confused, but then something punched my brain. I opened up my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. I stared at her and decided to talk again. - Are you Roxanne Monroe? - I said, taking a look at the letter in my hands to confirm her name. 

- last time I checked, yes. - she said and giggled. I laughed nervously and let her in. At first sight, her hair was light brown, wavy and long, and her eyes were hazel, or green, I couldn't tell. - I'm sorry about this, I'm sure you didn't know. If it helps, I just arrived at my room and had a letter saying that I was reassigned. - 

- don't...don't worry. - I managed to say. 

She turned around and gave me a concerned look. - are you okay? - 

- yes. - no, I meant to say. Everything was wrong. My whole life was entirely wrong. There were a lot of thoughts going in my mind. What if she was another Mary? What if she was just as mean and shallow as her? I sat down at the edge of my bed again and ran a hand through my hair, realizing that she was waiting for a complement that supported my previous statement. - I'm sorry, it's just that um... my life is a little bumpy right now, and with college starting again, you know... it's a lot of stress. - 

A little bumpy? Really Ashley? That's your best justificative? 

My life wasn't nearly as calmed as I wanted it to be. But probably I was just exaggerating. 

See, less than two weeks ago my boyfriend and me, sorry, ex-boyfriend broke up. I still couldn't believe it happened. That night still played in my head like a nightmare. We were together since summer, and just like the trees did, our love lost its leaves when cold and long autumn came. 

- I'm... sorry to hear that. - Roxanne said from the other side of the room, resting her arm in her suitcase. 

- no, it's not a big deal. - I tried to smile, but it was hard. I bit my lips and shifted on my feet, trying to find a new conversation topic that was less awkward and hurtful. - so um... the letter said you study medicine? - 

- yes! I'm on my 6th semester. - she smiled. - what about you? - 

- I'm studying architecture. I'm on my third year... that would be my 6th semester as well. - I said, but as soon as I replied I knew I didn't want to talk anymore. I wasn't in the mood. 

I just wanted to lie my head back in the bed, and go to that silent and blurred place between awareness and dream, and just don't think about anything else, anymore. That place where the love doesn't matter, therefore there are no terrible heart-breaks. The world where having friends didn't mean anything, and you could spend the rest of your life alone, without depending on someone to survive. I was tired of giving more of myself than I could. Tired of having to be social even though social events caused me an extreme amout of anxiety. 

I just wanted to start my life all over again.