Chapter 30. || "Ups and downs."

When we got back to Ashley's house, her family was still out with mine. I really did not know what they were doing, maybe something to try to be a little calmer, so I called Jay to see if he was with them. He said that he had stayed in my house, and as I knew it was not polite to leave him alone, I asked Ashley if he could come over. She said yes, that she wanted to see him. 

It wasn't strange that when Jay arrived, Ashley ran off to hug him. I admit it, yes, I got a little jealous, but he's my best friend and sh'es my girlfriend, and I loved seeing them in that way. I liked the friendship they had, many could envy it.

Ashley was still a little upset, so Jay and I did every possible thing to raise her mood. We managed to get a smile at times, but I guess it was all about ups and downs.

Later, our families arrived. We ordered Chinese food and everyone ate. I could see that Ashley was very uncomfortable, and not only because there were many people in the room, but because we all could still feel the tension of the accident. 

—Well, I think it's time for you to leave. They need to rest. —my mom announced after cleaning her mouth with a napkin—. I can stay the night with you, if it's okay. —She concluded, turning her head to the side to see Clarissa.

—That's —Clarissa began, but I interrupted her.

—It's okay, mom. You have to go home. I can stay here tonight. —Suddenly all eyes were fixed upon me, but I just had mine on Clarissa, who was staring at Ashley to see what she said about my offer. 

There were no comments from them, they were only communicating through looks.

Finally, Clarissa sighed and said, —All right, Nathan. It's a nice gesture on your part.

I could feel my cheeks getting hot, but only smiled a little. —No problem, you're welcome.

Ashley excused herself from the table and walked into the kitchen.

After a while I went with the others to find a backpack with new clothes in my house, and when I was already going back to the Underwood's house, I ran into Jay.

—Hey, I'm really sorry for leaving you alone. I did not know this would happen.

Jay patted my shoulder. —It's okay, I'd also do the same. Just make sure she's fine, she's a precious person. —he made the attempt to suppress a smile—. And besides, you know your mom loves me, so it's not a problem for her or for me.

I laughed. —You're right. See you tomorrow to hear the first radio play of the new single? 

—Yeah. 

Nano had sent us an email, remembering us that tomorrow was going to be first radio broadcast of  the first single from our new album , so we could promt it and everything, so we couldn't miss it because we were all too excited to see the fans' reaction.

I went back to Ashley's house when it began to rain, and I noticed that almost all the lights were off, except from one light in the kitchen, where I found Clarissa serving herself a glass of water.

—Thanks for doing this for her. You know she does not like to express how she feels, and I can only imagine how this situation is affecting her. —She said with a faint and feeble voice.

—I'm not just doing this for her, but for all of you. I really love you all. 

She smiled weakly. —I see why Robert  said you were different. I agree with him.

I got chills and it gave me goosebumps. I did not know what to say.

—Thank you for accepting me.