Chapter 16. || "Rollercoasters and heights."

I walked in the room and noticed that Roxanne wasn't there. I figured out she was probably out having lunch, though I didn't dwell on that topic. I dropped in my bed and stared at the white ceiling. 

I remember the first time I had been in my room, the day I was assigned to it. I remember reading the acceptance letter over and over again, as if I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing. I remember walking for the first time through these dull corridors, looking for the room 104. I also remember adding those numbers, so that 1+0+4 was 5 (I know right, it's a bit odd, but it's an habit I've had since I was a baby). 

When I opened up that wood door, I opened a door to my new life. All the walls of the room where covered in white, and, mentally I started designing a new layout and decoration for it. Years had passed, and that room became my shelter, a place where I could hide all my fears and joys. 

Now, as I stared blankly at the ceiling I couldn't believe I only had 2 months left, or maybe just 1, in these four walls.

I sighed and closed my eyes for a bit, because Harvard had been such a huge phase on my life: I had made new friends, lost some other friends, fell in love, failed and passed tests, grow more as a person... It hurt knowing that I had to change to another college, so as my other classmates. The good thing was, I could still go to the best universities in America: Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Brown... But this university, my university was so much more than a name and a reputation to me: it meant my life. I worked so hard to get here, and now I was just letting them take that away from me. 

Still, there was nothing I could do. I was just a little ant fighting against the tide. 

I rolled over and almost fell out of bed, but somehow I balanced myself and was able to stay still. I stood up and grabbed my phone, hoping it would be 7 o'clock already. But it was barely 3, which meant I still had 4 hours left. 

My head was spinning around, and I didn't know if it was because of the news that were given to me earlier or if it was because I hadn't eaten anything since yesterday's afternoon. 

My heart jumped a little when I felt someone opening the door. I turned around and it was Roxanne, a huge grin on her face. I felt a pinch of jealousy traveling through my body. I wish I could be that happy. 

- Hello Ashley! How are you? I didn't see you last night by the way... Hey! I read your note, how was that team meeting? - She asked, as she placed her purse over her bed. 

I felt my stomach dropping to the floor. - We... We didn't make it. - 

Her face, all of a sudden, turned as pale as a ghost's. - What? Are you kidding me? - 

- I wish I was. - I sat down on my bed and sank my head in my hands, and rubbed my eyes with my palms. 

She sat next to me, I could feel it. Her hand was on my back now. - Oh, sweetie, you all worked so hard... - I looked up. - There must be something you can do... This can't end like this. It's not fair. -

- I know. It's all so messed-up... - I looked to another side. - Melanie and the rest of the team suggested that we could do a car wash thing and sell cakes and stuff... But still like that... I don't know if I still want to fight against this. Maybe there are some things that are supposed to be this way. - 

- C'mon, don't talk like that! You are a woman and women NEVER give up. - I smiled at this. She always knew how to raise my mood. - You know what you can do? You can organize a marathon, I'm sure you'll do lots of money. You can still do the car wash thing, I'd like to help you! - 

- Did you see how tired I got from yesterday? I don't want to organize another event... ever. - 

- So just tell another person to be in charge of it. You're not the only one in your Faculty. -