Chapter 29. || "Take care of her."

There aren't that many hopsitals in Abbeydale. Actually, I think there are only 2. We're lucky to even have doctors in this small town.

I told Jess an excuse to leave without her getting upset; I did not want her to worry about anything, and yet she said she would return home with a friend.

My heart was beating a thousand miles an hour and I felt everything but concentrated. Maybe I shouldn't have been driving in the state it was. Moreover, I shouldn't have been driving in any way—I didn't even have my license yet. But I did not care. I could have won 15 tickets that night for driving over the speed limit, I just wanted to go and see how was Ashley's family. 

I knew Jay was with her, but still, I needed her with me, safe.

I finally arrived and managed to not die trying to drive like a Formula 1 race. I got off the car and threw the door close, then I got in through the sliding doors of the emergency room.

The first thing that struck me was the air conditioning in the waiting room, which was usually packed on a Friday night. What I noticed next was the peculiar aroma of purified air without bacteria. The beeps from the electrocardiograms were heard in the distance, and you could see the doctors and nurses running around with their surgical shoes. A couple of ambulances had their sirens on outside, making it all a frenzy for all the senses.

There were a couple of people who saw me when I got in, but the others were drowned in whatever it was that was happening in their lives at that time. And I could only wonder one thing: where was Ashley?

There was no sign of her, or her family or even Jay. I looked to all the corners of the room but saw nothing. That's when I approached the information desk where a nurse with a colorful gown was sitting. I rested my arms and opened my mouth to speak, but just then, I caught a movement with the corner of my eye.

My mom was walking across the hallway that lead to other parts of the emergency room with Phil at her side. Seeing her face, I knew something was wrong.

—Mom? —I exclaimed—. Where are the other ones?

—Nathan, you have to calm down—

I guess I looked pretty upset.

—Just tell me where the other ones are!?

A few tears ran down her face, which she wiped away with a napkin which was already soaked.

I clenched my jaw.

—I was with Clarissa before coming here, but the doctors called her to see Robert . I don't know where Ashley or James. I guess they are together, because James is not allowed to go in. Jay is—

I didn't finish listening to her.

I ran down the hall looking for Ashley, James, or Jay, but did not see any of the 3. I began to curse too high to be right in a hospital, but I could not care less.

Then, when I was going back again to the waiting room, I heard someone calling me.

—Nathan Sykes? Who is Nathan Sykes?

I turned to see a doctor with a blood-stained robe calling me, covering his mouth with a surgical mask, coming out of a set of gray doors that had a small window at the top.

—Yes? —I approached him—. I'm Nathan Sykes —I tried to calm my breathing, both for running and for being so altered. 

—Robert Underwood is calling you. He wants to talk with you.

I felt like someone filled my lungs with air, the breath of new life.

Then he was alive.

I took a deep breath and pressed my lips. I nodded once and the doctor told me I had to put on a mask to pass. I agreed and then he led me through the interior corridors of the emergency room.