Chapter Ten: Romance Is Thick In The Air

Start from the beginning

“Oh, hello.” She said in a thick voice trying to hide her face.

“Hermione,” Alison began softly standing up. Hermione just shook her head, “I’m fine. I don’t need him anyways.” She said putting on a determined face.

“Hermione,” Alison began again, “It’s okay to be hurt.” Alison was surprised to hear those words come out of her mouth. She wasn’t very good at giving advice, especially good advice.

Hermione shook her head again, “Don’t worry about me.” She said and sniffed a little before heading for the stairs. “I’ll be….okay.” she said and started to cry again. Alison shifted on her feet uncomfortably not sure what to do exactly. She had sat up many nights with Ginny as she cried over Harry and more recently Dean, but Ginny always buried herself in a pillow, or on Alison’s shoulder. Alison had never had to take the lead.

Hermione held back a sob and looked up at Alison again. Alison gave a sheepish grin and took a step towards her. Hermione engulfed Alison in a hug and Alison gently patted her back. Hermione cried on her shoulder for a few minutes before pulling away and wiping at her face again. “Thank you.” She said softly and went up the stairs. Alison shook her head and sighed before climbing them herself.

***

As December came the air grew chillier and Snow began to swirl in the sky. The castle became drafty and Alison took to carrying her heavy cloak with her for between classes. The worst was when they had to venture outside for Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures. Some days the wind was whipping to the point that Alison had almost been knocked over more than once.

Along with December’s arrival came the arrival of the usual twelve Christmas Trees handpicked and brought in by Hagrid. Alison had ventured with him into the forest to help pick out which trees would be the best. Hagrid had told Alison about a number of magical creatures that he had taken care of over the years. Visiting Hagrid and discussing her new found interest of magical creatures had become a common thing for Alison to do on her nights off.

Though the Christmas holiday wasn’t far off the professors were still piling on the homework like it was going out of style. Alison, Ginny, and Colin spent many nights huddled around a table in the library working to finish paper after paper. However, tonight Alison was in the library alone. Colin was with Samantha, and Ginny with Dean. It was nights like these that she really began to miss having George at school. He would have sat across from her at the table and joked around.

Alison was busy writing a rather long Defense paper about vampires for Snape when Harry sat down across from her.

“Hello.” Alison said not looking up from her paper. She finished her sentence first.

“I can’t take it anymore!” Harry nearly yelled. Alison shushed him so they wouldn’t get kicked out.

“Take who?” she asked in a low whisper and looked over her shoulder for Madame Pince.

“Ron and Hermione. They’re being ridiculous and I’m tired of splitting my time between the two of them.”

Alison nodded her head and went back to her paper, Harry had complained about his two best friends more than once over the last few weeks.

“Why don’t you ask them if they’ll talk it out?” she asked off handedly already knowing the answer she’d get.

“It won’t work! I’ve tried.” Harry said and slumped against the table. “And what’s more, I can’t find a date to this stupid party of Slughorn’s! And all these girls keep giggling as I walk by, they’re hoping I’ll ask them and I just don’t want to.”