Unwanted Attention

Kristen's Pov

Harsh autumn wind cut into my back as I sat crouched on top of an empty carrier. October weather in this city was never the best. The south docks haven't been this busy since the last crisis with the Reach. Then, every major crime lord in Gotham had been shipping tech in and out of the city in the light of day.

I've only been Scarlet for a year now. Quietly making my mark around Gotham, but rarely enough that the Batman and his birds would catch me. The last thing I needed was attention. I guess socking criminals brought a little light into my life. Considering how that would sound to normal people, my crusade on crime was very private and I intended to keep it that way.

"Quickly now, they don't like to wait!" A harsh, Hispanic, and vaguely familiar voice shouted. 

Bane. 

An enormous figure stepped out from the shadows and pointed to a bunch of his men.

They were carrying crates, open crates at that, but from where I was stationed, I wasn't able to see them without blowing my cover. Inwardly grunting, I hopped to an opposing ledge almost directly above the docked cargo ship, hoping the height would help.

I've seen his work a few times, but never long enough to actually pick a fight. The Boy Wonder and Batman never ceased to beat me there. But this time, I actually had time to watch the show before swooping in.

"Hurry up!" Bane's voice startled the man, making him drop the box. 

The crate crumbled from the sudden pressure and out of it, tumbled a small shaking body. I clenched my teeth together to avoid making any noise. They were boxing and shipping children. What did Bane want with children?

The girl couldn't have been older than 12. Her body frame was small, but the dirt covering her face and hair made it harder to tell. This is what the crazy lady was going on about at the station earlier. A sickening feeling that I knew all too well settled in my gut, and I knew I couldn't sit here any longer without doing something.

Dropping to the ground silently, I made my way to the other crates. The cover of night worked extremely well in my favor as I skirted around the shadows.

"Please, just let me go."

My heart broke at the girl's voice as I turned to see what was happening. Bane roughly grabbed her by the elbow and dragged her to the crate without even bothering to let her stand. But I'm sure that even if he did, she wouldn't be able to.

"Don't worry, chica," He smirked. "You'll be happy I brought you with me." 

Suddenly the place went up in smoke, covering the boat, and the men. Great, they finally showed up. Satisfied with the situation, I returned to the other kids and got to setting them free.

"Hey!" I turned to face one of Bane's goons. I smiled despite my current situation. Lately, life threatening events tend to make me happy. Or it could be that I'm just going crazy. Either one.

He charged at me, but considering the significant size difference, I was able to block every one of his jabs. Not only that, he was also just sloppy in general. It made me laugh, but the warble that bubbled up from my mouth sounded more like a cackle instead of a giggle.

The smoke was beginning to clear, which was a clear sign I had to finish up my fun. I side stepped a right hook, and rammed my outstretched arm into his neck, knocking him unto his back. Turning on my heel, I continued what I was previously wrapped up in. It's always fun to play around sometimes, but business is business.

I was on the last box when my ears picked up a distinct rush of air behind me. The body of one of Bane's goons barely grazed my shoulder, but it would've done worse if I hadn't ducked. The body crushed the wood crate that had been in front of me.