The Bonfire

(Anybody's POV)

Jay and Chris haven't talked since the heated argument they had. The adults came back from the woods to do the final setup for the bonfire. It was being held in front of the Big House. The sun is setting and everything is almost in place. The women went to gather the blankets and marshmallows while the men were still gathering sticks and logs for the seats and to start the fire. Every once in a while, Jay and Chris look at each other, but on for quick seconds. Ana is still thinking about going through with telling Jay about the whole situation. Justin is talking to Chris about making up with Jay and talking it out. Jay's mom and dad are talking to Chris's dad about their children being together and talking about how much of a success the bonfire has been for the past months.

(Justin's POV)

"Alright Everybody take a seat and gather around!"
Mrs. Tate said getting everyone's attention
Everyone took their seats on logs that were sitting in front of the big fire pit.

"Welcome back to our monthly bonfire! Once again we are celebrating the success of The Oak. Look at how far we've come. I want to thank you all for cooperating and being here for these past years. I also want to thank the two young men that watch over young people here. Christopher and Justin! *everyone starts clapping and cheering as they stand*. We've really grown and flourished into this beautiful society we live in today. Cheers to "The Oak"!" Mr. Tate said raising a stick with a marshmallow at the end to the sky signaling everyone to do the same

"To The Oak!" Everyone said in unison laughing

I was sitting next to Chris and his dad and I saw Jay sitting next to her mom and dad. Chris and Jay kept looking at each other. I know they want to speak but their pride and guilt are telling them otherwise.

I noticed Ana was looking real suspicious. Something was telling me something was coming up but, I shook it off.

"Chris, have you told that girl you're dating what's up with us?" His dad asked him making both of us look his way

"No dad, I'm going to tell her. I got this."

"You better tell her before it's too late."

His dad was right. She needs to know.

"Chris... Why don't you go talk to Jay. You all need to talk things out. Imagine if she were to go to sleep right now... Would you be satisfied?" I asked him already knowing
The answer

"No I wouldn't be satisfied because she's upset with me. I see what you're saying. I'm gonna go talk to her."

Chris got up and walked towards her while she was talking to her mom, then I saw Ana get up too. I wonder what's going on.

(Chris' POV)

I needed to make things right with Jay. We both were heated earlier and we need to resolve what happened. I would have a problem going to sleep knowing she was upset at me.

"Hey Chris sweetheart how are you?" Her mom asked me.

"I'm fine ma'am thanks for asking." I said giving a smile

"You know you can call me ma anytime."
She said giving me a reassuring smile

"I know now."

"Well hello son what's going on?" Her dad asked me.

"Nothing much. Just came to check on you all. Excuse me for a second."

I saw Jay putting two marshmallows over the fire and walked towards her.

"Hey baby can I talk to you?" I asked hoping for her to say yes

"Yea sure... I was gonna come over to you and Justin and ask the same thing." She said still looking sad about earlier

"Jay um I need to talk to you about something. It's very urgent."
Ana said walking up to us.

Justin soon walked up to us too.

"Ana what's going on?" Jay asked Ana looking confused

"It's something you should know. I think I need to tell you now." Ana said looking at me with her eyes in a way of saying sorry

I know good and well this girl was not about to tell the secret I told her to let me handle.

"Umm Chris was talking to Jay about something important. So can you wait a sec?" Justin said giving Ana a back off kinda look. The only people that saw what was happening was X and Khalil.

"Wait a minute.. What is going on with you guys. Can you all speak one at a time?" Jay said taking her marshmallows off the fire and handing the stick to Khalil so she can get the facts set straight. Khalil sat there and ate her marshmallows.

"Let me talk first. To you in private Jay." Ana said pleading

"No, I was here first, I need to talk to her." I said trying to get Ana to back off.

I heard screams in the distance but it sounded like the screams were coming closer.

"Aye don't y'all hear that? Chris you hear that?" Justin asked me as we all nodded in agreement

"THEY'RE COMING! THEY'RE HERE! EVERYONE MOVE MOVE MOVE!" A boy in our group yelling running out of the trees

My heart dropped out of my body and into the ground. I looked at Justin as he turned pale. He mouthed to me "get Jay out of here" . I can't believe they're here. Pictures of me and Jay flowing through my head. I looked at her confused face.

"Chris what's happening?" She asked me

"EVERYONE MOVE MOVE MOVE!!! GET READY!! THEY'RE COMING!! YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO!" I yelled as everybody was yelling and screaming knowing that they were coming closer. I have to move fast to get Jay to safety.