Breaking Waves

Laura Hollis is not a witch, and if one of her friends used the 'w-word' around her, the yelling didn't stop for a very long time. However, as LaFontaine had once said the lady doth protest too much. Or maybe that was Shakespeare, who knows. Laura was just a college girl who knew very well how to bend and shape science to enforce her will. This included, but was not limited to, summoning, learning extra languages in no time flat, light levitations, and one time even an almost love potion.

Laura's favorite was the summoning part. Her very first time she had been around six years old and had poofed up a crotchety old vampire who still looked as though she were in her early twenties or late teens. According to Carmilla however, she was upwards of three centuries old. The vampires, after having overcome her shock of having a sobbing child as her new mistress, had sat patiently and listened to Laura cry for the death of her murdered mother. Carmilla hadn't felt so strongly for a human in quite a long time. Then Laura, had come out with this; "And I want you to go hunt him down and kill him."

The little golden girl glimmered in the sunlight that Carmilla could never touch. She quite desperately wanted to reach out and comfort the little one, an innocent who had just been tainted by the darkness of the world around her for the very first time. Light brown eyes glimmered with anger, too large for her pale and haunted face. Carmilla knew that she could break out of the holding spell that she had been placed in in half of second, and have Laura drained dry in the span of a heart beat. Still, she say and heard the kid out.

"Are you sure about that, cutie? Ten years old is a bit young for becoming a murderer." Carmilla asks, desperately hoping to make Laura rethink what she was doing. For some unknown reason, she wanted this golden girl to retain her innocence.

"Didn't you hear me? No one ever caught him. He got away scott free, he killed my mother and he will never be punished. You are under my control, under my power, and I told you to go take care of him. Go, punish him. Make him pay.' Laura waved her hand and dismissed the spell, but Carmilla had gotten what she had wanted, her new instructions were to 'make him pay' as opposed to killing him. That was much more flexible and any spilled blood would be on the vampire's hands and fangs as opposed to the little cupcake's pretty head.

-----//////-----

"That woman you killed... did you know that she was married? That she had a family?" Carmilla manifested her human-shaped form from the shadows behind a scraggly haired addict, a needle already half of the way into his vein. He whipped around, but couldn't see anything behind him, Carmilla had already disappeared.

"Her husband is so kind, and do you know who he passed that kindness on to?" she asked, centuries of rage at the unfairness of the world looking out and into her voice, making it low and guttural. Her fingernails lengthened just as quickly as her fangs had and gently raked down across his throat.

"His daughter, his daughter who was so kind and so good is now tainted because you murdered her kind and good mother. WHy can't people like you and I just leave people like them alone?" Carmilla asks herself. Her claws dig in a little bit deeper and the junkie begins to tremble. She lets him loose and he collapses to the ground in a heap.

"I won't taint my fangs with your blood." she knocks him unconscious with a swing of her right foot and cracks his ribs with her left. A cry echoes from a room down the hall. THis was the kind of cry that Carmilla had avoided during the entirety of her after light as a vampire. Still, she knew that she couldn't leave another innocent behind when she had just professed to value it so highly.

She awkwardly lifts the child from the carrier from which it had been squalling and poof him into the hospital where she knew that he would be cared for. After having stripped the innocence from Laura so cruelly, Carmilla thought it fitting that this man be so stripped of his own child as Laura had been stripped of and from her mother. The baby would be better off without that man anyway.