Beach Burn

"You're a vampire, Carmilla. Of course you're going to get sunburned, are you crazy?!" Laura scolds her girlfriend.

"I hadn't seen you come up for a long time." Carmilla grumbles, shedding her shirt and bikini top as soon as Laura had shut the hotel room door.

"Oh, honey, you look like a lobster." Laura hisses with sympathy.

"Vampirically pale skin does that, cutie." Carmilla groans.

"Luckily, I thought to bring the aloe with us, just wait here." Laura instructs.

"My Girl Scout, always prepared." Carmilla says with an almost smile.

"I do my best." Laura scoffs, kneeling on the bed behind where Carmilla sat. The vampire sighs when the cooling gel hits her skin and Laura does her best to be as gentle as possible.

"Why doesn't this heal automatically like your other wounds, injuries, or ills?" she asks.

"It is healing. It just goes much too deep to heal that quickly." Carmilla explains.

"You shouldn't have tried to rescue me." Laura scolds again. "You know that I'm a good swimmer."

"If I see you in danger, I'm always going to do whatever it takes to rescue you, no matter the cost to myself." Carmilla says, turning to look at Laura behind her.

"I can take care of myself better if I can count on you being okay." Laura reminds her.

"I can understand that." Carmilla says with anod. "That doesn't mean that I have to like it."

"Carmilla, don't go all Danny Lawrence-style over protective of me again, okay?" Laura requests.

"Yes, ma'am." Carmilla says teasingly.

"Don't you ma'am me!" Laura protests, squirting Carmilla's face and hair full of aloe gel.

"That's gross, Laura!" Carmilla scrambles up and onto the bed to tackle sting and throb of her burnt skin. They wrestle and play in a manner that Carmilla had only just begun to learn to enjoy again until they are both covered in sticky green-blue goo and are lying together breathless, Carmilla holding Laura's shoulders down, pinning her to the bed and simply staring down into her golden brown eyes. The vampiress laughs as she smears a bit from Laura's hair down and across the top and bridge of her nose, making her scrunch up her face adorably.

"Gross." she breathes as Carmilla lowers herself down and presses her lips to Laura's, tasting salt water, sweat, and aloe.

"I love you." Laura whispers.

"I love you, too." Carmilla replies, flopping down onto the bed beside of the bed beside of her forgetting about her sunburn. "Yaowch!"

"Oh, honey!" Laura sighs and laughs at the same time, kissing Carmilla's cheek.

"I should have let you save your freaking self."

"I'm not always in need of saving. I'm a good swimmer. I was okay the entire time."

"I knew that up here." Carmilla gestures to her head. "I just panicked in here," she points to her heart.

"Your heart is safe with me, Carm. I won't let anything happen to it or me."

"They're the same exact thing."