Camping AU

Carmilla had lived a very long life, over three hundred years worth. Most of her time had been in relative comfort. Even before she had been turned, she had lived in the height of the luxury that particular era had to offer. 'Roughing it' had never been in her vocabulary. Thus far, camping had not suited her in the slightest.

Laura seemed happy enough, however. When they escaped from Silas University, Laura had taken charge of the hiding and the survival aspects. Carmilla had hated all of the experience, she was much more used to clean and somewhat safe spaces. Watching Laura pitch them a tent brought her back to those days. She found herself incapable of seeing what was supposed to be so fun about it.

Still, Carmilla continued to do as Laura directed. She hauled their supplies out of the car they had borrowed from LaFontaine and put them in front of the tent. A circle of stones was set up a safe distance away, ready for a fire whenever the sun fell. The campfire was pretty much the only part of this experience Carmilla was looking forward to.. Seeing Laura happy like this was really all Carmilla required out of this adventure and so far Laura had been, so she would put up with this misadventure for as long as she needed to.

Carmilla found herself enjoying camping a lot more when Laura picked up a hatchet and began to split some kindling for the fire, ditching her flannel in favor of the olive green tank top she wore underneath. Carmilla propped her chin up on her fist to just sit back and watch. She had always loved the way Laura looked in that particular top. Her arms and shoulders looked astounding and captivated Carmilla's attention.

Firelight was an extremely good look on Laura Hollis as well. The warm, flickering light light her in a way that highlighted her cheekbones and the impressions of her muscles. Carmilla decided this was the only upside to camping. She had been unimpressed with doing yoga in the field with Laura and the bugs... and the dirt. Laura's happiness and her beauty were really the only pluses.

"Do you know that you're staring?" Laura asked, quirking one eyebrow up at the other girl from across the fire. She had a sixth sense for catching Carmilla when the former vampire was admiring her. If Carmilla remembered the heat of blood in her own veins,, she would have known she was blushing furiously.

"I guess I do now." Carmilla shrugged, trying to blow her embarrassment off. Laura Hollis could be extremely perceptive, but that was a part of what made her such a great journalist. "Do you mind?"

"Just so long as you are aware.You can look all you want." Laura said in that innocent but still kind of coy tone. It always drove Carmilla crazy and she was beginning to think Laura had figured her out and was using this particular skill set against her.

'Not fair' Carmilla thought to herself.

"Would you like a marshmallow?" Carmilla offered, popping one into her own mouth and pointing the open bag towards the other woman. She grinned brightly, her grin was just for Laura.

"Always." Laura replied. Carmilla tossed the sugary treat over the flames and the younger woman smoothly caught the warm toasty treat in her open mouth. Carmilla chuckled lightly.

Carmilla sat back for a moment and tried to take the evening all in. The smoke from the fire kept the majority of the bugs away, and she could hear the crickets in the surrounding forest. Up in the sky, when Carmilla looked up, she could see just as many stars as she did before light pollution had existed. The view brought her back to her younger days. In these little moments, Carmilla could see what Laura saw in camping.

There was something in the solitude and the quiet that was almost magical. For miles around Laura and Carmilla were the only people. There were no chances of interruptions and there were no expectations. Laura and Carmilla could just be... they could be themselves and they could be themselves together. If Carmilla could only have one more things it would be a functional shower and bathroom. Beyond that, everything was perfect.

"Are you ready for bed?" Laura asked a few hours later, her eyelids hanging low. Carmilla realized then, she hadn't looked at her phone once since about lunchtime, and neither had Laura. Carmilla had no idea of what time it was.. They were running on camp time. No schedule or appointments to keep up with. Carmilla really enjoyed everything about that part.

"Yeah, I think I am." Carmilla replied. Laura took her by the hand and led her into the tent. Their sleeping bags were zipped up together and the smaller human fit perfectly against Carmilla. She settled in and allowed the orchestral sounds of nature lull them to sleep.