Chapter 25

"Lung cancer. It's lung cancer."

"What?" I say, shocked.

He nods. "Yeah... He's apparently had it for a while, but didn't know it."

"How did you guys find out?"

"He had a doctor's appointment about a month ago and it was his regular, routine blood tests he does about once a year or so and the tests came back kinda buggy, so they redid them and the doctor said he basically knew what he was looking for...but wanted to be positive... and it came back positive for lung cancer."

"Oh my god...is there anything they can do?"

He shakes his head. "I mean, there are a few things, but it's progressed so much so quickly, that it'll just delay it a little. Danny said he'd rather just continue living his life than spend most of it in a hospital getting treatments done." He sighs and I grab his hand. I can feel him shaking slightly.

"So, he doesn't want to do anything?"

He shakes his head and for the first time, I notice the bags under his eyes. "No. I've tried to tell him it could be a good option. Told him there has to be something they can do, but he just won't listen to me." He runs his hand through his short hair. "He's determined to not go through anything. I love him to death, but he's just so damn stubborn."

"I know. If this is what Danny wants, we can only go with him and help as much as possible until..." I trail off.

"I know." His voice breaks. My phone starts ringing, so I answer it.

"Hello?"

"Did you two get lost out there?" I hear Lyric ask from the other end.

"No. We...are...talking."

I hear shuffling then Lyric sighs. "He told you?"

"Yeah."

"Danny figured he would eventually. That's what was wrong with me this morning...and what's still wrong with me..."

"I kind of figured when Tone told me."

"Look, you guys take your time. We're fine here. Just, let Tony let it out, and get him relaxed before you come back."

"I planned on it."

"Alright. I'll let you go. I love you, Lav."

I smile. "I love you too Lyr." I hang up the phone.

"Was that Lyric?" Tony asks quietly.

I nod. "Yeah. Danny apparently told him this morning when we were in the bathroom."

He nods. "He said Lyric would probably be one of the first he told... I haven't even told Anna yet. You know Danny better than her, so I wanted you to know first, you know?"

"Yeah. I understand."

"We should probably head back." He says standing up and dusting himself off.

"Are you okay to go back?"

"As okay as I'm going to be."

I nod and we untie the horses and make our way back to the house. We put the horses back into their corral. I wrap my arm around his waist in comfort and he smiles slightly and grabs my hand as we head back towards the house where Lyric and Danny are. We walk back in and see the guys are watching TV. Danny looks up and smiles nervously. I walk over and kiss his cheek. "I'm here if you need me."

He smiles. "Thank you Lavender."

I nod. "You're family. It's no problem."

"I'm still not sure how to tell everyone else..."