Chapter 20

Today is the day. Rose's birthday and the Toby is going to propose! I'm so excited. Toby is coming early so he and I can plan. Lyric stayed at his place last night so there is no chance of anyone but us knowing. Well, other than Rose's father. I have just finished getting dressed and ready when I hear a knock on the door. I get out of the floor and go answer the door. It's Toby. "Hey." He says.

I move aside for him to come in. "Do you got it with you?"

"Yep." He takes a small black box out of his pocket and throws it to me. I sit on the sectional and open it. "It's gorgeous." And it is. He shows me an oval shaped ring with a big ass sapphire in the middle surrounded by diamonds. There are diamonds also on the silver band. It looks like it cost a fortune. He did say it was his grandmother's ring so it is more than likely an antique and is probably a family heirloom.

"Thanks." He says. "I just hope she likes it."

"She'll love it Toby." I stand up and hand the box back to him. He puts it back in his pocket.

"So we need to decorate?"

I nod. "Yeah." I go get a box of decorations. "This is what was bought." It's all just small, simple decorations.

"What about the cake?"

"Lyric is in charge of getting it. He's coming before anyone else."

"Okay. How is he since everything?"

"He's doing better. Which is good."

"Yeah it is. Have you told Danny you're coming back next week?"

"Sure did. I'm starting back Friday."

He climbs into a chair and starts to string up some fairy lights. "Are you excited?"

"Be careful. And yes, I am. I've missed it."

He nods. "I understand."

"Do you miss it?" I put out cups and plates.

"What?"

"Deejaying. Do you ever miss it?"

He stops what he is doing and looks down at me. "Every day of my life."

"Then why don't you do it?"

"There's the store."

"Get other workers."

"I've tried. I can't keep anyone that's truly good with music and enjoy the customers like you and me." He shrugs. "I can't sell the store. It was my father's."

"I know." He puts the last of the lights up and jumps of the chair and lands on his feet. I flinch slightly. I saw that going really badly... He smiles slightly as he sees me flinch. "You thought that was funny, didn't you?"

"Yep." He sits on the edge of the sectional.

I sit down beside him and shove him. "Stop being so nervous."

"I can't. This is a big step Lavender."

"She loves you Toby. The only answer you're going to get is yes."

Lyric walks in and sets the cake on the island with the plates and cups. "The lights look awesome."

"Thanks." Toby and I both say.

"Is everyone bringing a dish of food?" He asks me.

"Yeah. Would you get mine out and put in the oven along with yours?"

"Yes." He turns and puts the two dishes in the oven. I made hot corn dip and he made some kind of fruit tart that everyone can cut into. He sits down on the sectional with us and I lay back on him. He passes the remote to the TV to Toby. "You can pick something if you like."