Chapter 1

It seemed like as soon as we entered high school Andrea was hell-bent on dropping me and becoming top dog of Berkley High. Originally, I was hurt. She was my best friend, my blood. I didn't get why I had to be left behind just for her to shine. The wild thing was that I would have gladly taken a step back. I didn't crave attention the way she did. I just missed my sister... sometimes anyway. I feel like Andrea knew that I felt inferior to her and she used that to push me further out of the spotlight. When we were younger I always thought that Andrea was prettier than me. One day at one of our family cookouts I complained about it to my aunt.

"Auntie Tave! Why can't I look more like Andrea?!" At five, I was a bit dramatic and slightly hysterical.

Aunt Octavia laughed, "Love, you are twins; you do look alike."

"But the boys always tell Andrea that she's pretty! Lonnie gave her a flower! When the turd looked at me, he got all red and ran away!"

Auntie Tave giggled "Did you just call him a turd?"

I nodded my head and continued to pout. "Uncle Daren calls the big boys turds when they come by on their skateboards."

Auntie Tave giggled again and ruffled my hair. "Babe, one day, you'll come to appreciate your features. Your strong, defined cheekbones make you look exotic, your long black hair is always perfectly wavy, and your eyes are as blue as sapphires, I can't wait until the day you realize how truly beautiful you are."

I tilted my head not exactly sure what she meant.

"Once you get older you'll understand what I mean, especially once you lose all this baby fat, but until then...."

"I'm gonna nom on you!"

I was scooped up into my aunt's warm embrace as she tickled and blew raspberries at me relentlessly

"Auntie Tave!" I managed to yell in a fit of giggles.

Now, in my Junior year of high school, I was finally starting to catch a glimpse of what my aunt was trying to say. I had even mustered up enough courage to confess to Kyle Prewitt. The only dilemma was the fact that I could barely get the attention of my own twin sister. How was I supposed to capture his? I tried to shake away my negative thoughts. I was determined to see this to the end. That meant that I had a week to get a brand new wardrobe that would turn heads, specifically Kyle's. Even though I've known both Kyle and his brother Kellan since we were four I didn't develop a crush on him until Freshman year. It was so frustrating to watch him entertain my sister while he seemed to forget I existed. I was starting to have doubts about going through with this again.

My phone vibrated informing me that I had a message from Sarah. She knew I was head over heels for Kyle and was determined to help me get him. I was more than grateful for her support because I was starting to freak out a little. Honestly, if it wasn't for her encouraging me I probably would have given up a long time ago. Just thinking about it put a smile on my face. I snapped out of my thoughts when I realized Sarah was currently waiting for me downstairs. I grabbed my jean jacket and my house keys before making my way out to the car.

"Hey, babe!" Sarah greeted me as I slid into the car.

"Hey! What store are we hitting up today?" I asked buckling up.

"Stores." Sarah corrected

I groaned I know I agreed to this, but really? It was no secret that I wasn't the biggest fan of shopping, but I also didn't want to look like a bum in front of Kyle. Sarah narrowed her eyes at me.

"You said you wanted help, so I'm giving you help. You better not complain!"

I slid down into my seat and sighed, "Fine."

She was right. I did ask for her help so I guess I didn't have any right to complain. Sarah wasted no time when we arrived at the mall. After stopping at Hot Topic, Forever 21, Victoria Secret, and a couple of other stores I was exhausted.

"Please! Can't we take a break and eat?" I said, pointing towards the food court.

Sarah sighed, "Fine."

I rejoiced and practically skipped to the food court. I bee-lined for the California Pizza Kitchen.

"So, how exactly am I going to go about getting Kyle's attention?" I asked after carefully chewing my pizza.

Sarah snorted. "You're freaking beautiful, Adri, you don't have to do anything. All you need is confidence. Stop being the quiet twin. Speak up and don't back down."

A smile graced my face as I listened to Sarah talk. I was genuinely grateful for her presence in my life.

"Have I mentioned how much I love you?"

"Not nearly enough, but I'm willing to sit here and listen to how to how much you do."

"Hey now, don't make me take it back. "

Sarah threw a french fry at me, and we both laughed.