Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"It was only Mom, Dad, the boys and I," Moon explained. "Videl wasn't living with us yet and Gaea wasn't born. So there was enough room."

I nod and glance at her out of the corner of my eye. She's looking at the house, but she hasn't made a move yet to go inside. I don't want to push her, but I'm actually a little excited to see the house she grew up in.

Moon takes a breath and walks up to the door. She gently places a hand on the knob and a grin spreads across her face. Bending over, she picks up one of the plants. Under it, a gold key sits. Though it's probably been years since it was even touched, it doesn't show any signs of age.

Picking it up, Moon places the plant back down. She brushes the dirt off the key prior to sticking it in the keyhole and turning it. A soft click sounded as the door unlocked. Placing the key in her pocket, Moon slowly turned the doorknob and opened the house for the first time in years.

When we walked in, the living room was what we saw first. An ebony colored carpet lies on the floor. Moon slips off her shoes and I do the same. The rug is soft as I move my toes around in it.

Dark olive green furniture sits around the room. A couch, a loveseat and two recliners. Each chair has a throw pillow on them while the couches have two. They're all positioned around a TV perched on an oak stand with a shelf of movies next to it. A few lamps were places around the room. I imagined that when they were on they cast a homely feel to the room.

Not wanting to be rude, but curious about the rest of the house, I walked forward carefully, as if walking on broken glass. The room had a stale feel to it, but not enough to make you assume no one had lived here in a decade.

"I thought you said you haven't been here since you left?" I asked, walking up to the couch. A blanket was lazily thrown over the arm, as if someone has just gotten up.

"I haven't, and neither has Mom, Dad or the boys. But after we left, my Grandpa moved in so he could take care of it," Moon said as she walked up to me. The corner of her lips twitched into another smile. "He said it was always ready in case we ever wanted to come home."

"But you guys never did," I stated. Moon shook her head.

"Not till now. Though, I have a feeling that Mom and Dad will move back in after we've collected the Dragon Balls."

I nod and look again at the blanket. "So where is your Grandpa? I didn't see him at the palace."

Moon didn't answer right away. I look up and at her. She was staring out the window, into a small grove of trees.

"I don't know," she said finally. "I don't think he's dead, not one bit. He's probably just waiting until we get back here to come forward. Why though, I don't know."

Orange light from the sun shines on her hair, making it look firey. I walk back to her and pull her into a hug.

"I'm sure he's just caught up with old friends and is with them. He's fine," I assure her. She nods against my chest. Pulling away, Moon smiles up at me and kissed me lightly.

"Now, I know you've been itching to see my room," she teased. I chuckle.

"Tis true, Pigeon," I reply.

"Well, then follow me, Monkey Boy." 

Moon lead the way to the stairs, pausing at the bottom of them. I smiled and took her hand, this time leading her. When we reached the top, Moon walked right over to the first door. 

It was partially opened, showing some of the wood floor. Moon hesitated, her hand on the door. I gave her hand a light squeeze. She nodded and pushed it open.