"Your sister has returned into critical condition. If she awakes , I'll be sure that you'll be the first to know."

"If?"

He nodded his head miserably .

With that I followed him into his office where a Caucasian woman sat in a business like suit. She had freckles surrounding the bridge of her nose and her hair was blonde with black roots.

"Hello , I'm Laura Haines and I'm a social worker . You must be Brooklyn Rivera , sister of Amber Rivera?" She stretched her hand indicating for me to shake it .

I grasp her hand as I shook it lightly . "Yes I am."

"Nice to meet you . As you may know your sister is not eligible to care for her newborn . She's allowing you to take custody of him . Do you object this matter?"

"No , no . Um Im willing to take him." I smiled weakly.

"Great , well first thing first , we have to invade your premises to insure that baby Bracen is in a safe environment." She begin to open a vanilla folder.

"That's fine."

"I need you to sign some papers. Just to let you know , a court order is not needed in this case . It will only be needed if another family member would like to take custody of the baby but we will have to go before a judge to get it known that you are in fact the guardian for now on. Do you think any family member would disagree with your right of taking custody?" She asked with a raised eyebrow .

I begin to think . "No , my mom is aware of them living with me. Do my mom know about Amber's condition?" I asked the doctor

"Yes , I informed her earlier this morning."

"My mom doesn't wake up till 8 and its 8:45 now . You must called her?"

"No , she arrived here."

"What for? She knew Amber and Bracen was coming with me . Why did she come?"

He wiped his forehead as if sweat was forming . He walked to his desk and laid the papers down as he stuffed his hands into his coat. It seems that he was being careful about giving me information .

"Is she still here?" I asked

"No."

"Here are the forms that's needed for you to sign." Laura handed me some papers . I sighed as I sat in a chair that's facing the doctor's desk . She handed me a pen as I began to read word for word .

"I see you're a cautious person." Laura said as she sat in the chair next to me .

"Yes , one thing my mother taught me was to never sign a paper without knowing the circumstances . It's like unknowingly signing my soul over to the devil. Doesn't matter how good the situation sound from word of mouth , because whatever is in ink is what beholds your life and right now , my nephew is my life."

Her lips turned crooked as she approvingly nodded her head .

--

I stood over Amber's bed as she slept with a tube in her mouth. Her skin begin to get pallid . She looks helpless and weak and vulnerable . Instantly a tear slid down my face .