Chapter 14

It's probably going to be taking a little longer to update chapters. I just hate typing chapters up, and it takes me forever to do it. Plus I've got four projects now. Sigh....

     Chapter 14

The tv flickered with fright explosions from the latest riot in Ukraine. Ivankov crossed his arms, shaking his head. Every day without a call from Anastasia made him nervous, and he hadn't heard from her after the 'incident' at the military base. . Suddenly, the beeping noise his phone made startled him, and he almost threw his phone across the room. “What happened?” He shouted, before realizing how loud he was. Fray was on the other side of the hall, and Ivankov had to be careful with his word choices.

“What, no hello? Ivankov, please.” Anastasia mumbled. Ivankov groaned in frustration, rubbing his temples.

“You didn't kill her, did you?” He started cursing. “Anastasia!”

There was a pause. “Okay, no. I did not manage to kill her. But I did manage to injure James. He had a nasty wound that would have killed him if that little bitch of a girl wasn't so observent.”

Ivankov face palmed. Another beeping came from his phone, popping his eardrum. Pulling the phone from his ear, he clicked the third party button. Closing his eyes, he waited for the old thing to reply.

“What the hell was that?!” The third party snarled. Ivankov rolled his eyes as the spy snapped angrily. “I got hurt!”

“Relax Sumer.” Anastasia said in her bored voice. Sumer continued to snarl, cursing rapidly. Ivankov ran a hand through his snowy white hair, rubbing his chin. A slight beard was beginning to grow. How bad he needed a shave, and sleep for that matter too.

Sumer and Anastasia were arguing as he held the phone away from his ear. “Look here,” Ivankov snapped. They both shut up like two little children. “Sumer, when you calm down, then you can talk.” The third party grumbled to himself as Ivankov took a deep breath.

Anastasia grumbled. “This is taking forever, Ivankov. I mean, all I have to do is put a bullet to my brother's brain and then you can be leader.”

Ivankov sighed. He trusted Anastasia, but his Secretary of Defense side that belonged to Fray kept him from letting her do that very thing. “I'm working on it. Sumer, please tell me you have an idea?”

The spy was silent for a moment, but she did. “What if I did that mind poison to them? Get them on our side and then they can kill Sloane?”

“Forget it. You're not doing that.” Ivankov ordered. Anastasia sighed and Sumer chuckled under his breath.

“Wait a sec,” He suddenly said. “Oh, how could I forget about that. Aaron and Sloane were fighting about it this morning!”

“What? Forget about what?” Ivankov could barely contain himself. He whipped out his planning notebook, clicking his pen and inhaling sharply.

“Sloane claimed she ran into you and Fray a while back, right? She wasn't lying?”

Ivankov's hand moved to his neck, where a raised scar rested. The sheer memory of her holding the knife to his throat made him shudder with fear. “No, she was not lying.”

“Someone suggested that she and Fray, you know, get to 'know' each other. And then she could figure out the plans or something. What if we did that, but gave her a fake notebook to worry about?”

Ivankov continued to rub his neck, pondering the thought. Anastasia had fallen silent, possibly still irked about her 'brilliant' idea being shot down. “I don't know, Sumer....” His voice trailed off.