Chapter 19 'Hit and Miss'

• Dedicated to Roach

                                                                                Chapter 19

‘Hit and Miss’

Day 30; 5:10:32

Sergeant Sloane Hunter

Task Force 3412; Moscow, Russia

“Sloane, wake up. You’re late again.”

          “Ugh.” I groaned, blinking away the sharp light. My eyes ached and my head begged to go back to sleep. Gunner tossed my jacket onto my face. “Dang, Gunner. Watch it.”

          “Someone’s not a morning person,” He said as he tossed my boots and socks beside the cot.

          I yawned, shaking my head. “What time is it?”  I asked as I stood, throwing the jacket off of my face.

          “Five ten. Roll call is in twenty minutes and you’re just now getting up.” Gunner shot me a look of annoyance.

          “And I’m not the morning person?” He rolled his eyes, beckoning me to move faster. “Is everybody else awake?”

          “Yeah.” I rubbed my knees, aching from a day of violent training. Gunner mumbled while I walked into the bathroom and threw on my camo pants, before throwing my head up into a ponytail. “Hurry up.”

          “I’m hurrying, calm down. I’ll be even faster if you quit pressuring me to be quick.” I grumbled, pulling my bulletproof vest on and then a t-shirt. He smiled blankly and walked out of the room while I pulled my belt through the loops, sliding my knife into the holster.

          I quickly slid my socks and boots on, grabbing my helmet. Finally, I grabbed my throwing knife and dog tags, and raced to the door. Gunner wasn’t where I thought he’d be waiting for me. I glanced down at my watch, only remembering that I’d taken it off before bed. “Damn it.” I cursed, opening the door and grabbing my watch off of the table. Shaking my head, I slid it on and opened the door back up, to find Mellie on top of Gunner.

          Good Lord. I thought, clearing my throat. Gunner jumped so hard that Mellie fell off of him. He pulled her back to her feet, not meeting her gaze. “Time to go.” I said, my brows raised. Mellie sighed and patted Gunner’s chest, before scurrying off like a mouse in the light. Gunner looked frozen. “You know better,” I warned. He shot me a glare. “We’re not supposed to love anybody on the crew.” As much as I hated it, Mellie was part of the crew.

          “I don’t love her,” Gunner defended, wiping his face off from where Mellie’s sticky lip gloss had left marks on his skin. I snorted. “She kissed me!”

          “And you gladly kissed her back?” I asked, hiding my smile. Gunner fell silent. “What would Candy think of this?”

          “It’s Cherri.” He mumbled, keeping pace. “And she wouldn’t care. I don’t love her either.” He looked at me with a level gaze.

          “Who do you love?” I teased, opening the door. Cold air sent shots of needles down my neck and spine. I pulled my jacket tighter around my shoulders.

          Gunner led me to the armory, the wall of weapons sheltering us from the icy wind. Picking up the Vector, extra mags, and grenades, I pinned them around my belt. I pulled a red-dot and attached it.

          We hurried to the war room while I pulled my headset and helmet on, shivering. The air would warm up when the battle began, when the adrenaline ran loose, but it was below freezing now.