Chapter 3

I comb through my hair one last time before looking towards my doorway to double check that I've locked it one more time. I throw the bag holding Carol's new dresses in it over my shoulders and check myself out in the mirror before rushing to my balcony.
Checking my surroundings, I swing my legs over the side and jump the long distance down, landing with a small "oof".

I flick my hair back before looking around to check if the coast is clear and bolting. I run until I come to the large brick gates that surround our house and then move around to the secret exit that is used for emergencies.

"Melody Kingston" I hear the familiar, sarcastic voice fill my ears and turn around to be met with James, an old man who has worked for us for years now. He's almost like a second Dad to me. "What on God's green one are you up to this time?"

A guilty smile makes its way onto my lips and I shrug innocently, "Just going out for a little bit".

"Aren't you supposed to be on lockdown?" He raises an eyebrow at me and I hesitantly nod in response.

"Please don't tell Mother and Father, I won't be gone for very long and you know how good I am at self defence!" I plead with big eyes, fixing the strap of the bag on my shoulder.

He lets out a loud sigh. "Alright, run along. Just remember to be back soon and don't stay out very late" he nods at me and I smile gratefully before wrapping my arms around him in an engulfing hug.

"Thank you" I breathe out, smiling as he hugs me back then pushes me towards the exit in a dismissive manner.

When I'm out of our property I smile to myself and start trudging down the road, humming a tune to myself. It's always so nice to get out by myself and explore the land like I always do.

I keep walking for about thirty minutes before I come to the town and squint when I notice how deserted it looks. Compared to yesterday when we came out and the streets were littered with people, there is no one. Hmm, strange.
Frowning slightly and shrugging it off, I continue walking until I find the small road that will lead me to Carol's house. I take in the area once again and purse my lips together in disappointment when I don't see Carol sitting on the steps like yesterday. I run up to their house and bring my knuckles up to knock on the door softly.

I hear a squeal on the other side of the door and loud footsteps before I back up a bit and the door opens up.
A man who looks about twenty five is standing at the door with a confused look on his face. His eyes run over my body before his lips part slightly and he clears his throat.

"Can I help you?" His voice is groggy and I look over his shoulder to see no one there.

"Hey, um... Is Carol home?" I ask him, causing him to furrow his eyebrows. Maybe he's not used to visitors.

"Carolina?" He asks me and I nod slowly, looking over his shoulder again and hoping that I've gotten the right house. "Carol! Someone's at the door for you!" He calls out loudly, causing me to flinch while looking over his own shoulder.
I hear soft laughing and running footsteps until Carol comes to view.

Her eyes widen. "Melody?" She gasps softly and I send her a wide smile before getting on my knees and opening my arms for her. She runs into my arms and wraps her arms around me, giggling softly.

"Guess what I brought?" I ask her in a cheerful sing-song type of voice and her lips pull up slightly at the sides. I pull the bag from my shoulder and pass it to her, nodding my head as an encouragement to open it.
While she's opening it I glance upwards to see the man looking down at me with a stern look. I take in his appearance, brown hair which is cut neatly and dark brown eyes. He swallows before turning around and walking back into the house without another word.