Chapter 2

Present day-

I stretch and let out a yawn before slowly pulling the covers from my body and swinging my legs over the side of the bed.

"Mel!" I hear my Mother's voice calling me from downstairs. "Melody get up please!"

"I'm coming!" I yell back, whipping the hair from my eyes and resisting laying back down.

Today is supposed to be the day that I reach out to the needy, and we call it "help the needy" day. Original, right?
Every year, my family go out into the streets and help the people living on the streets. Considering we are the wealthiest family in town, it doesn't affect us much, and as wrong as it sounds, the only reason my parents do it is to get the publicity. It's messed up.

"Mel! Get out of bed! It's eight past seven!" My Mother yells out again as I hear her ascending the stairs.

"Okay okay I'm up! I'm up!" I yell in return, pulling my silk robe on and tightening it around my waist.

"I bought you a new dress for this occasion" She bursts into the room, a large dress sprawled out in her hands. "It looks lovely and surely you could make a good impression in it".

Slightly rolling my eyes, I thank her and take it into my own hands.

"This is way too tight! I won't even be able to breathe in it!" I inspect the tiny looking waist and run the material between my fingers.

"So? It's the most popular fashion in London and obviously only the richest people wear them. It shows who you are!" She smiles proudly as I frown. "Now go put it on!"

Rolling my eyes at my Mother's desperate need to always show people our 'rich status', I grab the huge dress in my arms before frowning and making my way into my bathroom.

...

"You look absolutely stunning!" My mother praises me as I exit, barely breathing.

I stand in front of my large length mirror and stare at myself. The dress gives me an hour glass figure, making me look curvier than ever, and considering I haven't always been that "extremely skinny" girl that I've always wanted to be, I could definitely pass as it today.

"Curvy and sexy" My Mother smiles proudly, and I breathe out heavily through my nose. "Now do your makeup and meet me down stairs. We are going to leave in five minutes".

With that, she exits the room and I turn on my side before running my hand over my flat looking stomach. Despite the pain coming from the corset, it makes me feel confident and beautiful, even if it is huge and hard to move around in.

...
I sit in the carriage, fiddling with the material on my dress as we drive along.

"Melody please don't do that to your dress. It's very bad for it".

I give my Mother a look behind her back before sighing and looking around at the trees as we slowly move.
When we get to our destination my Mother tells us all to split up and help anyone that needs it, that in which I do.
When I see a young girl sitting on the steps outside of her house with her head down and her shoulders slumped my heart hurts for her and I slowly approach her.

"Hey" I smile softly and she looks up quickly through her dirty brown hair at the sound of a new voice.

"Hi" She whispers and I give her another smile as if to try and convince her that I am only here to be kind and not to hurt her.

"Mind if I sit next to you?"

She shakes her head slowly and hesitantly and I sit down, looking around at the grass.