"What's your name?" I ask her and she looks at her fingers before shrugging.

"Carolina" She tells me and I smile and her old-fashioned yet suited name. "I like your dress".

"Thank you, I like your name and your accent" I laugh lightly. "Do you think you would like a pretty dress like mine? I have plenty of dresses from when I was your age tucked away in my cupboard".

Her face lights up in a bright smile, "Really?"

"Of course! How old are you?"

"Nine" She whispers.

"Are you from England?"

She nods and I smile. England seems so far away from here. Naturally, it really is and unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to visit. Perhaps one day I will be able to; I've always had a soft spot for the proper English accent.

"Well next time I come to town I could bring you a few dresses" I smile. "Who do you live with?"

"I live with my Mum. I have brothers too but I never see them" She says sadly, picking at the dirty skin around her nails.

"Who are your brothers?" I curiously ask her and her smile immediately drops. Maybe I shouldn't have asked.

"I can't tell you. Mummy and them told me that-"

"Who are you talking to, Carol?" Carolina gets cut off when a woman's voice calls from the house.

"Melody Kingston" Carolina answers and I frown slightly at the fact that she knows my name. I suppose it's not hard to believe that everyone would know my family's name, but still. It's a little unusual for everyone to know your name, regardless of whether you've met them or not.

A woman quickly stumbles out of her house and stares at me before opening her mouth to speak, "Hello" She greets me warmly. "I'm Carolina's Mother".

"Hi" I give her a warm smile in response before looking at Carolina. "We were just discussing how I have a few dresses from when I was younger that I would be happy to give to Carolina".

Her Mother smiles but then freezes before looking at me strangely. "Why would you want to do that...?"

"Because it would make me happy to. There's nothing else I'd rather do with my old dresses" I smile, looking at Carolina. "You would like that, right?"

"Yes!" She jumps to her feet and smiles happily, looking to her Mother. "Mummy? Is that okay?"

"Thank you" Her Mother takes my hands in hers and smiles warmly at me. "Would you like to come in? I can make you a coffee if you would like? Or a tea, or really- whatever you would like"

I look to Carolina who eagerly gives me a nod and I let out a small sigh before smiling. What's the worst a coffee could do?

"Sure! A coffee would be nice thanks, I've got time".

Carol takes my hand and I smile slightly at the affection she's giving me. We walk into their house and I look around at the small but cosy place. I keep my mouth closed and bite my tongue to try and fight the urge to gasp at the state of it. Do they live like this every day?

"You can take a seat there if you'd like" Carol's Mother tells me, pointing to a wooden table and chairs. I thank her and take a seat, as does Carol. "You can call me Anne by the way".

"Thank you Anne" I gently laugh, looking to Carol.

She smiles and stares at my face for a while before sighing. "Why are you so pretty?" She whines and Anne scolds her softly, telling her that it's impolite to ask someone that.