Chapter 67

Michael's POV

"Did Maddie seriously scratch you?" I ask as we sit on the couch. Eleanor promised us to make food, and Maddie was helping her (or more likely trying to sneak some food while Eleanor wasn't looking)

Luke laughs a bit, holding up his arm. "I might've exaggerated a bit, but yeah," he says. Sure enough he had small scratches on his arm.

"Nothing compared to what she's left on your back," I laugh, Luke's face immediately turning red. Did he think none of us had ever noticed? Having him walking shirtless 90 percent of the time since Maddie would steal his shirts and probably also ask him not to put on another one. Eleanor told me that she likes to lay on my bare chest, and so does Maddie. The only difference is that I don't walk around without a shirt on. "Luke, you never wear a shirt, I'm surprised you're wearing one now."

"Well, I had to put one on as we were leaving the apartment, you know," he laughs. I then can't help but to be more serious.

"How are you? Like, with everything?" Luke sighs, glancing at the kitchen.

"I'm good. I love Maddie to death, and I honestly can't wait to raise this baby with her... But I'm scared. I can't just take a step back, if I don't feel like it anymore, I'm going to be a dad. I'm scared that Maddie and I will slip apart because we get in a fight because of tours or something like that."

"I get that," I say, sighing a bit on his behalf. "But I don't think you will. Even if you slip apart a bit or something, you're forced to see each other because of the baby, and in that way you're not out of each other's life at all."

"You're right, I just... I guess my mind is just racing with a lot of things lately," he says, rubbing his face. "I still haven't told my family, and we also have to talk to-"

"Luke," I interrupt. "I know. And we're all here for you if you need help. We can take a slight break after the baby is born, letting you and Maddie get into it, and you can see when you feel like going back."

"I'm scared that I'm going to want to give it up for longer than just a short period of time. Maddie wanted to leave New York because she didn't want this to affect my career."

"We need a well earned break sometimes, Luke. We had one when we just moved to New York, but that wasn't much of a break like that because it was a big thing that happened. Not that I'm saying a baby isn't. But, in that way we can kind of take a step back. I'd like to have some time with El, maybe go to Australia and spend more time with my parents. I'm sure Ashton and Calum too. This would be a decision we'll make together."

"Thanks," Luke says, sighing slightly.

Eleanor's POV

"See?" Maddie says, when I finally get her away from the doorway. "I told you this would affect his career."

"You shouldn't eavesdrop on them, Mads," I tell her, though it doesn't look like she listened as she sits on the countertop.

"They're talking about a break, Eleanor. Before we know, they're breaking up, and it's all because of me," Maddie says, making me sigh. How was I supposed to deal with this?

"They're not," I say, pulling her in for a hug.

.

.

"I feel so bad for Maddie," I tell Michael after I had told him about that Maddie had heard his and Luke's conversation. "She feels like it's all her fault." I sigh, rubbing in the lotion on my hands, while Michael sit down in front of me.

"The worst thing about it, is that I don't even know when we would start touring again. I mean, it wouldn't be right if Luke left her within the first few months, but I'm afraid that if he stays too long, he won't feel like touring again." I sigh, grabbing Michael's hands. "I mean, I already sometimes don't feel like going on tour just because of you." I didn't know whether to smile or cry. "But no matter what he chooses, we'll have to accept that."