Chapter 49

We all ended up going back to my place since it was the one that was closest to Times Square. When I got my own place, I wanted a penthouse between Times Square and Central Park, and Maddie's apartment, to not say the boys' were further away. Mia had texted and said that she was going to the party with Dylan so we wouldn't be able to reach her anytime soon. Ashton and Calum still seemed mesmerized by my place, Calum sitting by the window and staring out at the light-up city. I laugh a bit, immediately grabbing some alcohol from my cabinet. Only nine more days and I can buy it legally. I smile, feeling the necklace Michael gave me. "What?" Michael says, coming behind me to wrap his arms around my waist, kissing my temple. I realize that I had stopped my movement after opening the cabinet.

"Nothing," I slightly laugh at myself, my fingers still feeling the necklace.

"What do you want to do for your birthday? You're turning 21."

"Oh really, I didn't realize," I laugh, turning back to him as I look at him. He steals a kiss on my lips. "But I don't know, probably just staying in or something." I grab a few bottles. "But for now, I'm going to drink illegally while I can." He laughs, following me into the living room - with a smack on my bum, making me slightly jump. I laugh it off though.

"Who's up for... uhmm," Michael says, holding up a bottle to see what it was. "Bourbon Whiskey, oh fuck yes," he says, smiling. "Anyone who has an idea what to play?"

"I have one!" Maddie says, a bit enthusiastic. She grabs a few small plastic cups and sets them on a table as she starts to explain. Basically, you divide in teams with an equal amount on each team. The two first, when you say go, empty their drinks, which has the same amount in it. When they drank it, then have to flip the cup, by having it balancing on the table, and you flip it by throwing it up. Only when the bottom is facing up, the next person on your team can start. We did a few rounds of that, until we went to beer pong. It was weird, only being the six of us, but it was fun nonetheless. Maddie got really competitive, but that's Maddie. We ended up going to play Just Dance, me not wanting to play against Maddie. I once asked her if she had ever lost and she said once. So, she didn't get to drink a lot through that game, since it was the loser who had to drink.

One time my phone buzzed and I excused myself to go upstairs to answer it. I felt bummed for having to leave them, I don't think I've ever been to that small of a party (if you can even call it that) and have so much fun like I was surrounded by thousands of people. "Yellow," I say, mentally laughing at my own joke as I lean against my wall. I wait for a few seconds before I hear a familiar voice.

"El?" I don't have to hear an entire sentence, the way he said it made my stomach do a weird flip and my entire body froze.

"Why are you calling me?" I suddenly feel way more sober as I feel anger boiling inside of me, and I try not to throw my phone at the wall. It's not its fault anyways. When there is silence on the other line, I speak again, almost a growling. "James, why the fuck are you calling me?"

"I still love you. I never stopped." I don't know what to say to that. James sounded almost sincere, but it was James. He cheated on me, and then showed up at my party and punched Michael. Also, he's a good actor. But he's drunk, I can hear his slurring and I know he would never miss an opportunity to drink.

"Stop it," I finally say. I mean, I had loved him once, so there would always be a part of me that would feel something for him. It's not like I can stop feeling something for him. But it was not love, I can say that. "Don't give me that crap."

"But I do." I almost feel sorry for him. Almost. But then I hear laughing behind him and I hear him laughing as well. I fight the urge to run out of the apartment, finding him and killing him by ripping his insides out with my bare hands.