24: The Truth

“Why did you kiss him?”

“Why did you try to cock block?”

“Because I don’t allow my henchmen to date.”

“Yeah but you’ve never gone out of your way to cock block any henchmen, Mistah J.” I made sure to sound like Harley when she used the disgustingly high pitch nickname she always seemed to annoy the world with. 

His eyes narrowed once again.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, you’re on your back too often to see what I do.”

My jaw dropped. “Are you calling me a whore?”

“Did I stutter?”

I glared at him angrily, eyes smoldering with pain, but I tried to hide it. I didn’t want him to see how much it hurt me.

“At least ignorance doesn’t follow me with every step I take.” I whispered coldly, his eyes widened in anger, lips tightening in a straight line. I tried to ignore the fact that he was so handsome when he wasn’t wearing his Joker makeup.

I sighed, slapping him hard. I did not fear death at the moment. If he wanted to kill me, he’d live with my death until he died.

He raised his hand to hit me back, but I didn’t flinch. “Go ahead and hit me, let’s see how much more of a man you’ll be afterwards.” my words were firm, I stood my ground. He lowered his hand.

“Get out of my sight.” was the last thing he said to me that night before he walked off. I crumpled to the ground as soon as his footsteps faded, my head in my hands, I tried so hard to suppress my tears. I didn’t know I was capable of this feeling of anguish.

When I regained what little sanity I ever held, I got up and walked to my room, lying in the bed as the sun dropped below my view and the moon rose, holding its luminosity and wonder, and I lay awake even as the sun and moon changed their work shifts once more.

I got up from my bed, with every cell in my body crying out as I forced myself to do so. Last night was so painful, it hurt me physically. I’d never felt so much physical pain in my being.

I put on a lovely purple dress and a green tie, putting on long, black knee high converse, letting my locks flow down my shoulders and tickle my skin as I turned my neck even the slightest way.

I made sure to do my makeup extra nice, thickening my eyeliner to hide the red tint in my eyes, which was a result of tears brimming only a few hours prior. I cursed softly as I attempted to hide it, but it seemed the Gods were giving me a break, for I was able to do it without hassle and I wasn’t angry after I was done getting ready. I hopped down the stairs, trying to compose myself, but I stopped midstep when I looked at the couch in the center of the livingroom. Jack had Harley sitting on his lap, kissing her tenderly, holding her in his arms, close to his chest. Like how he used to do to me. Brushing his hands along her arms, gently stroking the skin, like he did with me. 

That should be me, sitting on his lap.

I kept in my dignity and kept walking down the stairs, past the Joker and Harley, and into the kitchen. I put on a mask of happiness as I prepared a breakfast for me, and me only. I kept my emotions and thoughts under everything as I flipped pancakes. My mind drifted off to a setting that calmed me. A beautiful, large, old oak tree, on a hill. It was a spot I used to go to when I was a teenager, to escape from the hectic life I had. I’d sit under the shade and bask in the cool, fresh air as the birds sang me their songs of reason.

I felt my pain start to dissipate, as the songs played louder and louder in my head, blocking out Harley’s obnoxious giggles. I sat down at the table and started eating.

“Oh, you made breakfast!” Harley’s voice shattered the song of the birds, crushing my idea of happiness and tearing me out of a world I enjoy. Her hand reached over for my fork, and in a fit of anger, I thrust my arm out to her, stabbing her in the arm with my fork. It did not pierce too deep, but it was enough to sting, judging from her facial expression. She pulled her arm back in shock, letting out a scream. Jack ran in, and put two and two together. I glared at him. I was mad at him, out of everyone. I slammed him to the wall, forearm crushing his throat. 

“If you really loved me, you’d believe me. If you really love me, you’d let me be happy.” I let my force go and walked to my room.

~*~Joker’s Point of View~*~

I got up from where she had blindly threw me, on the floor against the wall with a sense of suspicion towards Harley in mind. I turned to look at her, and saw she was tentatively rubbing her arm. 

I never believed Harley or listened to a word she said, but I always had a feeling she was right, since she was in love with me and swore to never lie to me. I knew when people were lying but Harley had so many different conflicting emotions inside her head, that it seemed everything and anything she said was right.

The woman I had feelings for before this whole Two Face dilemma just ran off, in her room, and I had the option of either going in to apologize, hitting Harley and having her confess, or just walking away. I wasn’t one to apologize, or to show my feelings, and option two sounded fun.

I grabbed Harley by the bleeding fork wound, she shouted in pain. “Mistah J! Owwie!”

I growled angrily. “Look, you better tell me the truth or I’m punching you in the face.”

Her eyes widened, her mouth turning into a pouting frown. “I-. . .I-I-. . . . I lied, okay? I broke into Two Face’s turf, but ya gotta understand me!” she tried to stroke my arm, staring up at me with those big, naive blue eyes of hers. I shook my head in disgust and threw her to the floor. 

I got up and rushed over to Blaise’s room. I had to fix the mess Harley had caused.