11: Rooftop Picnic

I went out to the front of the house at exactly 8 o’clock sharp, which was the time I knew Jack always preferred to go out at. He said it was a lot simpler for us and a lot more unexpected for the cops, who always thought we went out at 11 looking for trouble.

The car ride was silent, but once we got settled on the roof across from Harvey Dent’s office, things were starting to brighten up.

Harvey sat at his desk, filing through papers with a hard, pensive expression on his face, his disheveled blonde hair falling into his face every now and then.

“So,” Jack started, handing me a cup of coffee from our small picnic basket I brought along. I smiled and took it, thankful. “You can take off your mask.”

I did so, letting my hair fall free as well. He grinned widely.

“Hm, you are so much prettier than Harley.” he laughed, taking out a Coke and taking a sip, smearing the can with his red lipstick.

I blushed. “Well she’s not so bad looking.”

He shrugged. “You’re beautiful inside, instead of her, she’s honestly the stupidest person ever, probably so stupid she could get ran over by a parked car.”

I laughed. He was right. It was messed up to agree, but we’re criminals, so why not?

I shivered, he frowned at me.

“You look as covered as an eskimo and you shiver. I will never understand women and how they are always cold.” he shook his head. “That reminds me of a really funny joke actually. . . .” 

I put my hands in my pockets.

“Which joke?”

“I forgot.” he smirked.

“Oh you did not you liar.” I chuckled.

“Now honey, I am not a liar. I’m just dismissive to questions I don’t have to answer.” he had such a smug grin on his face.

I shook my head at him. “You are just so damn complicated.”

“Says the guy who isn’t a guy and who is actually a sexy cat.”

“Says the man who pretends to be a douche who is actually really nice.”

He groaned and chuckled. “I cannot believe you fooled me for so long. I aah...I am not used to being tricked.”

“Because you’re usually the one causing mischief.”

“To fool the Joker...Makes you pretty fucking awesome.”

I brushed a strand of hair out of his face. “Damn straight.”

He smirked.

I turned to watch Harvey, who had just taken a sip of his coffee and stood up, stretching, a tired look on his face. He was probably exhausted, every second of his life was now spent on the tv or in the office trying to bust Jack and I, but he probably knew that was not going to happen anytime soon.

I turned back to Jack. He looked at me, then looked up at the sky. It was a full moon.

“You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?”

“No, but I’m pretty sure I’d like to.”

Pleased with my response, we both stood up and he slipped his arms around my waist, dancing to no music, but guiding me with a rhythm that made me wonder what song he was thinking of, because it seemed to be quite beautiful.

He was humming to himself now, eyes closed, not focusing on Harvey Dent, not focusing on our surroundings, but our movements. He seemed so carefree, so passionate, that I did the unexpected.

I leaned in, and I kissed him.