16: Gone

I’m currently sitting at my computer, thinking of what to do today. Harley gave me the day off. Jack made her come to me and tell me. I can’t help but guess that Jack is avoiding me.

I’m guessing he understands that we cannot work.

I sigh to myself, checking the news. Bruce Wayne is donating to twenty different organizations to try to put an end to Gotham’s poverty. . . . Yet I know his attempts won’t work.

Joker made a pretty wild comeback last night at the bank while everyone was asleep. Critics were saying he wasn’t “spontaneous and interesting” anymore, so he proved them wrong by changing up the plan.

Hm. . . . . A new jewelry store is opening. Wonder how long it’ll take them to realize that a jewelry store has no place in Gotham.

We’ll rob them eventually.

I pulled my hand away from the computer mouse and set it in my lap, looking down at it, my mind drifting to a realization. Jack has pulled me out of every single job since he’s found out who I am. . . . I only work in the sidelines now.

Anger burst through me. I’m being underestimated?

I got up and checked my phone. Pitch texted me a moment ago.

I really want to go in and help out, but I’d probably throw off the plan.

Besides, they’ll be back in thirty minutes. . . .

The front door clicked open, the sound of footsteps following through, about twenty pairs of them.

They’re home. I run down to greet them, mask on, and go up to Jack. I nudge him and walk to my room, him knowing what I mean and following behind me almost obediently.

Once we got in my room, I locked my door and pulled off my mask, not even bothering to pull out my hair tie.

“Why haven’t I been assigned to any jobs recently? I thought I was your number one man!” I growled angrily, he tilted his head in surprise, a shocked expression on his face.

“Come again?”

I groaned. “Really?”

“You’re complaining from lack of work, even though you get full pay? Hm, like me I see, it’s not just about the money. . . . I like that. . . . I like your ways too much. . . .” he backed up a few steps. “Maybe too much. Maybe you should leave.”

I spun around and stared at him with wide eyes. “Leave?”

“Let’s not lie. You’ve fallen for my impeccable charm and I’ve fallen for your nearly similar charm. This won’t work, so go.”

I looked down to my feet. “You won’t even. . . . try?”

“What’s the point in trying when it’s just too risky? I’m not an idiot. I know when things are impossible, my dear.”

“Do you even like me?” I snap, looking up at him.

He laughed. “I’m a sociopath.”

I shook my head and backed away from him. “And I’m gone.”

He frowned as I pulled out my suitcase and started throwing my clothes in it.

“What?”

“You’re absolutely right. If it won’t work, why bother?” I hissed. “I am tired of being something I’m not.”

“Wow, you actually listened. I was thinking that–“

“What, that since I am a woman, I don’t listen to men?” I didn’t cease packing.

“Well, yeah.” he snickered. “Well, bye doll.”

I grabbed my suitcase and went to walk out, freezing as our eyes locked.

His dark, brooding orbs locked with my flustered, pained ones. There was a moment where we stared into each other’s eyes, waiting for another emotion to flicker through and make us change our minds about our decision to separate. We could practically read each other at this very moment, and we both knew our separation was going to hurt.

I could see it in his eyes, for his emotions mirrored expression, and mine were probably the same.

I hesitate. “Goodbye.”

He nods and turns. 

Turns to give me room to leave.

Practically nudging me to get out.

But I don’t think he wants me to leave just like that.

I mean something to him.

Right?