21: Lost Ribbon

"Sally, come here!" Jack's urgent voice called out, I responded to my fake name as quick as possible so I didn't cause suspicion. I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around him, he cleared his throat. Obviously he wasn't in the mood for my affection.

I stopped and looked at him curiously, he tilted his head to the side, motioning me to look. I turned my head and met the gaze of Harvey Dent.

"There's the little whore." he growled, I folded my arms and gave him a dirty look. I was about to send back a snarky reply, but Joker cut me off.

"Show her what you found." Joker sighed, Harvey raised up one of my hair ties. I frowned.

"That's where it went. How did you find it?" I asked, Harvey groaned and Joker looked at his feet.

"Sweetheart. Don't lie." Jack growled softly.

"I'm not!" I spoke, confused and offended. "I'm serious, one morning I woke up and it was gone! You know liars when you see them, does it look like I'm lying?"

He looked at me with hard eyes, judging me silently. I waited for him to realize it wasn't me, but Harley walked in.

"Oh, Mr. Dent, lovely seein' you here!" She chirped, I looked at her with narrowed eyes.

"Hi." Dent bluntly replied, turning back to me. 'If I catch you around my place, I'll spill your gut-"

"Harvey. Please." Joker spoke with reasoning. "We're not in a fight right now, you and I are allies, we wouldn't want to mess it up over someone like Sally."

Someone like me? Excuse me?

I looked at him angrily. "Joker I have no idea what's-"

Harley cut me off by speaking to Dent. "Oh, gosh, what happened?" she asked with a gasp, her lips turned in a frown.

"This girl broke into my house and I caught her." Dent spoke. Harley looked at me with wide eyes.

"Are you serious?!" she gasped. 

"I didn't do it Harley," I seethed through gritted teeth.

After Dent left, I turned to speak to Joker but he had beat me to speaking.

"What the hell were you thinking, breaking into Dent's place?! You really thought no one would notice? You suck at robbing, by the way, how come you didn't notice your hair tie falling off, I don't see how the fuck that-"

"I didn't-"

"Don't fucking cut me off." he was glaring, fire in his eyes.

I hesitated, looking down, waiting for him to speak again. "I don't see how the fuck that you could lose a hair tie and not notice."

"I was framed." I said in a small whisper.

"Who would frame you?"

I thought for a moment. One of our own couldn't have. Even though some of us don't get along, we believe in loyalty. 

"I don't know." I said after a moment of thinking. He was angrier now.

"I don't know what the hell to do with you." he growled. I hesitated once more.

"Believe me." I spoke, looking up at him. His expression softened, he turned away.

"Harley, let's go. You're taking Hush's place in the job I have tonight."

Harley smiled at him. "Of course, Mistah J!" she clung to his side, he didn't push her away.

"What?! But I-"

"Dog, Smiles, Pitch, you three watch Hush. Make sure she doesn't leave. She's on lockdown now."

"Joker!" I gasped in confusion. "You don't believe me?"

"Even if I did, I can't." he turned to me. "I can't."

"And why not?!" I asked, wanting so bad to hold his hand, to kiss him and make him take me back, but I knew his mood. I'd be just like Harley to him, and he'd shove me away like he does to her. Unless he truly cares for me. . .

"You can figure it out." he spoke, staring at me until I looked down. He turned with Harley wordlessly, and left.

Pitch was looking at me, she walked over to me and set her hand on my shoulder. "Sweetheart, I-"

"I'll be in my room." I sighed, starting to walk until Dog stopped me.

"No, you're staying where we can see you!"

"I'll watch her. Send two men to watch her window, you two stay outside her door." Pitch ordered. I looked at her angrily.

"If you get caught again, you'll get yourself killed," she whispered softly.

"I didn't do it!" I shouted. "I didn't, it wasn't me, it wasn't me!!" I angrily shouted. I went to my room and lay on my bed, feeling exhaustion taking over me along with depression and confusion.

Pitch sat next to my bed. She didn't speak another word that night.