17: Visit

I guess I did not mean anything to him.

It’s been three days and I haven’t heard from him since. I moved into an apartment today; yesterday I was in a motel, but I realized it may take longer than I thought for him to come back to me and tell me he wants me back.

I don’t care what way he wants me back anymore. As a henchman or a lover, I don’t care. I want to be a henchman again for sure, it seems so damn fun to get back into such an adrenaline rush, and I was great at it.

He can’t last long without his best henchman.

I walked out of my apartment with a sigh and a bad emotion following me, my feet crushing the leaves on the floor that have fallen from the massive tree that dwells outside of my apartment. It looks beautiful, with different colors of yellow and red. . . . . I’m confused. Gotham has these kinds of trees? 

My thought process is cut off when a car pulls up to me, nearly smashing my feet. I glared angrily at it, wanting to teach that driver a lesson.

But I didn’t.

Because the driver gets out, and I realize that it’s just in his nature to do such things. The man walks to me, he almost looks unfamiliar without all the evil appearance he created to participate in the crime business. 

He smiled at me, and I saw the faint outline of his trademark beneath his skin colored makeup.

“Jack” I ask in shock. He nods, walking over to me, 

“I promise to never hurt you. Blaise, I think I. . . . . I think I’ve fallen for you.”

My heart skipped a beat as his lips connected with mine, my heart fluttered inside of my stomach with so many butterflies I thought I was going to burst from so much satisfaction. 

When we pull away, I look deep into his eyes, now happy and brilliant in a pure way. “I love you, too. Let’s run away from this life together. . . . .”

Wait, I don’t want to run away from this life. . . . .

My eyes snapped open, I sat up from my bed and started to cry. Why? I haven’t in so long. Crying is weak, and I’m not in a business where it’s okay to be weak.

I just wanted that dream to be so real. I don’t understand why it can’t be!

I felt a gloved hand rest on my shoulder, I quickly turned to it and instead, met a pair of dark eyes.

Those familiar, dark eyes. The ones I’ve grown fond of over the past six months.

“Jack. . . .” I whispered softly, he grinned and sat on my bed in front of me, on top of my legs, too. I looked up into his eyes as he sat like a child; unable to stop fiddling around and on my lap with a curious gaze.

“Hello, doll.”

“What are you doing here?” I question, dumfounded. He chuckled softly, looking down, then gazing up at me with this dark eyes through his eyelashes. It looked terrifying in a sexy way. He was wearing his Joker makeup.

“Let’s not be neglectful to the truth.” he spoke with a deep, scratchy voice, watching me.

Of course. He wouldn’t speak his feelings.

Well, I guess I’d have to test what Pitch and I discussed.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re going to have to explain it to me.” I replied, pretending to be completely unaware to what he was talking about.

He was silent, his eyes darkened and his tongue licked the insides of his cheeks. It made me want to kiss him so bad, to make me forgive the fact that he kicked me out.

“Sweetheart. I can’t run Gotham without my right hand man around. Besides, Harley is locked up in Arkham Asylum and I’m not going to go save her. She can go figure out how to get out. Which will be hilarious since her pea brain can barely process anything. . . .” he chuckled to himself, I cracked a grin.

“So what would I be?” the bold question left my mouth before I could stop them.

He stared at me.

“You’d be promoted to Harley’s level.”

“As a man?”

He hesitated. “If you get tired of being a female and being known as my assistant, you can just go back to being Mouse. I’ll say you’re a new girl.”

So no more secrets.

“Are you sure you want to stop being Mouse?”

“I’m tired of this secret. I’m tired of keeping hush.”

His gaze met mine.

“You won’t have to anymore then.”