8: Jack's Story

He gave me a very puzzled look, to which I gave a small, polite smile as a response. 

"I didn't expect you to be so handsome." I shyly spoke, he seemed like he was going to respond but his responce was silenced as we were taken to our table.

We were in a secluded section of the room, which surprised me. He never liked secluding ourselves, but I guess now it wouldn't look so sketchy to have us away from everyone.

He folded his hands on the table and looked at me, I could still sense his body language was the same as Joker's, but this was no longer Joker, it seemed. His eyes, which had been ringed with black and given a dangerous demeanor now held a soft, curious expression deep inside his light brown orbs. The white makeup, washed away to reveal very clean, tan skin, the only bit of makeup was around his mouth, which I only noticed because I looked closely at it. He did a very good job of hiding his trademark scars; He looked so normal, no one would be able to see The Joker inside a man like this.

He smiled softly, watching as I took in his presence, as he took in mine. It was our first time really seeing each other for who we really were. 

His teeth glimmered white, which took me off guard. He deliberately made himself look ugly while dressing himself as The Joker. He made his teeth look ugly during the job. His teeth were perfect in every way, as this new man.

"Funny, how I didn't notice you were so different from your average self..." I mused. "Maybe it's because you used makeup instead of a mask, like me."

He laughed lightly. A genuine laugh. "Now I guess we have no secrets. What was your name again, dear?"

"Blaise." I smiled politely. "And yours?"

The man in front of me lost his smile, as he hesitated and looked to the side with a very pensive expression upon his lovely face.

I leaned closer to him. "Hey," I spoke softly, catching his attention. He looked up curiously. "You can tell me. I'm still Mouse. I'm just...Being my normal self this time." I grinned.

He grinned back, showing that infamous grin he used during the job. I was the only one here that would notice this, though.

"My name is Jack." He finally spoke. I felt my cheeks heat up.

"Nice to meet you, Jack."

He smirked, I could see beneath the Joker makeup for real now. Before I just assumed his persona as much different. This time, I can see it is.

"So, when did you get into your...Line of work?"

"When I was sixteen," I answered, crossing my legs. "I was cast out at that age for a while so I robbed people to be able to eat. Gotham's a place where people like me just happen to turn out like like that, I guess. And you?"

"I was tricked into it, in a way." He paused. "I lived in a very shabby home with my wife, Jeannie. She was pregnant. We wanted a better place for the baby, so I made a deal with a couple of gang members, who agreed to pay me a pretty generous amount of money if I did just one job for them. So, I said yes.

The place they were robbing was a place I had previously worked at. I knew the place like the back of my hand, or at least I thought that. Well, one night, I was out at the bar, when I got the news that Jeannie died in a freak accident, the unborn child died as well. I wanted out, but I was already signed up for the mission. 

When we got to the place, they had me wear this red helmet, since that was their trademark, and we found out the hard way that the security was so much more advanced. The two men I was with died, and I was cornered by the big bad bat. Well, in the end, I ended up walking out of that whole experience as a whole different man." He grinned. I was shocked that he was able to say a story like that while keeping a calm face.

I didn't know how to respond. I sat there, dumbfounded, but I realized I didn't have to reply, for the waitress started to approach us. I quickly looked for something to order, and when she left I smiled at Jack.

"That's quite a story..." I responded. He nodded, and chuckled.

"I guess I'm happy it happened, because if it didn't I wouldn't be the sexy, mischievous man I am today." He winked, chuckling softly. I smiled.

"I'm lucky to have such a great boss."

"Who did you work for before this?"

I thought for a moment, trying to remember. "Penguin."

He made a face. "I gave one of his waitresses a....makeover, so he's mad at me."

"A makeover?"

"Rearranged her face with acid."

My eyes widened momentarily. He smirked. 

"Remember, I'm despicable, sweetie." He responded to my expression. I hid my grin.

"That makes two of us."