louis and harry: We're Not Broken, Just Bent, & We Can Learn to Love Again

Louis stood at Harry’s apartment door, dressed in a grey suit — his work attire. He clutched their four year old son, Daniel on his hip, knocking again with another stressful huff. “Harry!” he snapped, getting impatient. Louis had an important meeting in half an hour, set in the centre of London which was 20 miles away and Harry had yet again forgotten to pick Daniel up from nursery, this was becoming a fucking recurring matter. Daniel buried his face into Louis’ shoulder, puffing out a sigh as Louis let out a frustrated groan, knowing he was going to absolutely kill his ex boyfriend for this. He knew Harry was probably hung over from a night of partying, maybe he was still out getting high, letting himself waste away. Harry was immature and Louis began to question why he even let Harry see his four year old son.

Harry stumbled down the stairs and shuffled to the door in only his pajama pants, “Ugh, what-” he snapped as he opened the door.

Louis glared at Harry as he held up Daniel, who wriggled uncomfortably at the sight of his other dad. “Remember him?!” Louis said, angrily. Daniel squirmed in Louis’s arms, desperately clawing away. “You forgot to pick him up from the nursery today. Again.”

Harry frowned and made a grab for Daniel, “Just give him to me. It won’t happen again,” he snorted and looked at Louis and Daniel. “Okay, so maybe I just lied.” He smirked up at Louis.

Louis just shook his head and scoffed at his ex. He whispered to his son he’d be back in a few hours and to behave-though that was more of a reminder for Harry- trying to ease the squeamishness. Daniel whined, before being shifted over to Harry. Louis smiled, pinching Daniel’s cheek, and smiling, “I’ll be back soon, kiddo. Love you!” His face completely dried of all loving emotion as he looked up at his ex-boyfriend. “Don’t do anything stupid,” he told him, before leaving.

“Stupid? Come on, Louis, you know me better than that!” he yelled towards Louis retreating body as he hitched Daniel up higher. The boy was clutching onto him for dear life and staring at Louis sadly as he walked away. “Hey,” he murmured softly, “Daddy’s gonna come back,” he murmured kindly to Daniel who was the only one who saw this side of Harry anymore.

Daniel huffed, disgruntled, and demanded to be let down as soon as they entered his apartment. He sniffed around, grimacing at his dad. He was only four, but he knew what beer smelt like, exposure courtesy of Harry. “Why do you drink?” he asked, curiously, wandering the room.

Harry sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose as he closed the door. “To wash away the pain,” he grumbled, as he grabbed a jumper off his lounge chair and shuffled to couch as he watched Daniel move about the apartment.

Daniel peered curiously at a picture frame hidden behind a flower vase. He padded over, blowing dust off the glass, and blinked at the photo from Christmas three years ago when Harry and Louis still lived together, and were celebrating Louis’s birthday and Daniel’s first Christmas together. He looked over to Harry, holding out the picture frame, needing an explanation. “Daddy has this photo, too,” he said, though Louis might not have wanted him to reveal that.

Harry’s eyes widened and he grabbed the photo, looking down at it with a broken expression, “I need a beer,” he moaned and got up just to see Daniel. He couldn’t drink with him here. He sighed and sat back down. “Daddy still has his photo too?”

Daniel nodded, walking over and handing it to Harry. “He says you changed,” the boy murmured, looking at his dad, sadly. He frowned, setting the picture frame on Harry’s leg.

“I have not,” he said with hurt as he scowled at the door where Louis had left. “I just..don’t like the same things anymore, that’s all,” he said as he ran a hand through his hair and bit his lip in thought.