Harry and Louis: Forever.

“Oh, just fuck off Louis.”

Harry never talked to Louis like that. He knew it, Louis knew it, and the three other boys in the dressing room with the stunned faces knew it.

I’ve got limits too, he thought bitterly. He was nervous, crabby from a lack of sleep, and wasn’t in the mood to listen to anyone nagging at him to eat something before they go on stage, especially Louis.

So, he snapped, and Louis sulked, and the rest of the band pretended not to hear.

Harry watched Louis intently for their remainder of the time in the dressing room with a furrowed brow and sour tasting mouth. Despite his pouty mood, he rather liked watching Louis before shows. He always put his headphones for those last few moments, when everyone was jitters and stress. He’d close his eyes, his long eyelashes casting shadows on his high cheeks and narrow face. The thin, pink lips that Harry loved to taste would occasionally mouth a few lyrics. The small, tan fingers that Harry wanted to lace with his would tap out a beat on whatever surface was available-a table, a chair, someone’s leg. Louis was a sight to see in everything that he did.

It was time to start. Harry felt his mouth go dry, and he swore his pulse tripled. The five boys wound their way through hallways and doors until they came to the stage. They huddled together, as usual, whispering words of luck and encouragement. Louis wouldn’t look at Harry, so Harry wouldn’t speak to Louis.

As soon as they hit the stage, Harry felt like a rush was ripping through his body. The problems with Louis were still present, but forced to the back of his mind with the sheer mass of people fighting for his attention.

The first act nearly put Harry back to a normal state of mind. He felt alive, happy, loving the adrenaline that spiked through his system. He knew that he had probably played up his friendship with Niall a little more than needed, but who cared? It was the first show of the tour. Why couldn’t he live a little?

It wasn’t until they had their first wardrobe change that reality shoved him like a jealous lover.

 Reality, meaning Louis.

Harry could feel his skin burn from where Louis had pushed him out of his way. It wasn’t a hard shove -Louis was older, but had nothing on Harry when it came to physical strength. The harsh reminder that Louis was mad, however, did have an effect on him.

The group returned on stage, and Harry felt like the earth’s axis was tilted wrong. His voice shook in his solo and he tripped over his own feet.

His stomach twisted as C’mon C’mon ended and the boys lined up at the edge of the stage. Change My Mind had always, always, reminded him of Louis. Next to him, he heard Louis sing the opening line.

The end of the night,

We should say goodbye,

But we carry on,

While everyone’s gone.

He glanced at Louis, desperate for his attention. Louis’s eyes flickered back, and if Harry blinked, he would have missed Louis’s hand fluttering from the microphone stand. Those tan, small fingers quickly signed, “Forever,” and were coupled with a small smile.

Harry bit back a smile, trying to keep the memory that had flashed through his mind from losing his place in the song.

“Lou? We should learn sign language.” Harry glanced up from where he was perched on the couch to look at Louis, who was rounding the kitchen with two mugs of tea in his hands.

“Sign language?” Louis scoffed, “What do you have to sign to me that you can’t just say to me?”

“Oh, you know, just to mess with the boys and the fans and stuff,” Harry said.

Louis set the mugs on the coffee table and straddled his legs across Harry’s lap, so they were nose-to-nose, forehead-to-forehead. “Know any interesting signs?”

Harry crossed his fingers and brought them to his chest.

“Now what does that mean? Something bad, I’m guessing.” Louis leaned down and nipped at Harry’s neck, covering each red mark left with a gentle kiss.

 “It means forever, Lou.”

Louis paused his work on Harry’s neck and looked at him, blue meeting green. Harry bit his lip, hoping he didn’t get too deep or sappy.

“I don’t think I’ll be forgetting that anytime soon.” Louis repeated the sign before pecking his smiling lips to Harry’s.

Yes, Harry had limits, and yes, Louis could push them, but sometimes, he needed someone to test his boundaries.

Without Louis, there would be no forever.