niall and liam: Thunderstorm

A loud roar of thunder woke Niall up from his unsteady sleep. Quietly he gasped as a flash of lightning illuminated the sky in front of the window next to his bed.

He tried to pull the blanket up to his chin.

It really was ridiculous, but Niall still was afraid of thunderstorms. He didn’t even know why, all he knew was that they frightened him with all those sounds and all those lights.

Slowly Niall turned his head to look at Liam. The older boy was peacefully sleeping in a bed on the other side of the hotel room.

The blond boy turned back and looked out of the window once more. Heavy raindrops hit the glass and suddenly yet another lightning appeared on the sky.

Niall winced and hid his face underneath the sheets.

For the following minutes the raindrops that steadily drummed against the window were the only sound in the hotel room.

But then out of nowhere the blond boy heard Liam’s groggy voice from across the room.

“What’s wrong?” He asked a little too loudly and it took some more minutes before Niall finally pulled the blanket back down and turned to his friend.

“Nothing…” The younger boy said quietly but Liam’s sigh made it obvious that he didn’t believe him.

“I know something’s wrong, what is it?” He tried once more and leaned himself onto his elbow before rubbing his eyes with the other hand.

“I’m fine!” Niall nearly shouted and rolled over until he was facing away from his roommate.

Niall appreachiated Liam’s help, all the time, but he just couldn’t stand that he always knew it when something was up.

Yet another lightning lit up the room and the younger boy gripped the blanket tight, not aware of Liam watching him.

“Oh” He just uttered, still a little sleepy, and then Niall heard him walk over to his bed.

He turned around, still wrapped in warm fabrik, to look at him, but because of the darkness he couldn’t see more than his silhouette.

For some more moments Niall looked at him and then the older boy made a gesture with his hand and spoke.

“Move” He ordered and Niall frowned.

“What do y-” But before he could even finish his question his friend was already softly pushing him to the other end of the bed. It dipped underneath his weight as he lay down next to Niall. He leaned onto his side, so he was facing Niall’s back and when he had managed to slip under the blanket he gently pulled his blond friend closer to himselff so they ended up spooning.

“Uh, Liam-“

“It’s just so you’re not affraid anymore” Liam replied, his voice not more than a quiet whisper next to the blond boy’s ear.

Niall blushed, but nodded anyways.

It took him some more minutes of shifting around and then Liam just wrapped his arms around the smaller boy’s waist to keep him still.

As another lighting appeared in the sky and the younger boy tensed Liam hugged him even tighter. When that boy relaxed again and shyly reached for the older boy’s hand, Liam moved even closer and pressed a soft, almost innocent kiss to the back of Niall’s neck.

And yes, then Niall felt safe, no matter how loud the thunder growled outside.