Self Sacrifice

Chapter 16

Rome practically fell out of his car, weak and broken. A couple guards rushed over to help him up careful not to touch his left arm because it was in a self made sling.

“Listen to me; listen to me there’s a house uptown. I need you to stake it out, here’s the address. Stay outta sight if you see the girl call me.”

Rome stumbled into the building; it was getting harder to walk. He felt like he was about to collapse and every time he moved his arm pain shot straight up and was literally the worst thing he’s ever felt.

He was not looking forward to going to Antonio empty handed. In fact he was terrified, and he was in no condition to defend himself if it came down to that. In fact on the state Rome was in Antonio could probably knock him out with one punch. He stood outside the door trying to calm himself down and make himself more presentable. He was covered in dry blood all over his shirt and face. His left eye was swollen and there was a cut over his right eye. His clothes torn, covered in dust, his arm broken and put in an extremely unsafe sling he looked like hell and Antonio was about to put him through more of it.

          He knocked twice and each time sent pain down every inch of his body down to his toes. He struggled to turn the knob and slowly pushed it open to find Antonio cutting his own arm in small slits. Rome walked inside his head down as he tried to hide the pain he was in.

“Boss look I’m just gonna come out and say it. I didn’t find her but I’m gonna keep looking, I’ve got a lead and… Boss, what the hell are you doing?!” Rome said finally looking up.

“You know what they say about pain Romeo? Ancient civilizations use to believe that cutting themselves and drawing blood was a self sacrifice to their gods and to their cause. They used to pray for rain, pray for food, for victory in war and then cut themselves allowing the blood to pour out as a sign of their dedication to the gods and their people.”

“Antonio, stop it!!” He rushed over to grab the knife but Antonio stood up and punched him hard in the chest sending him flying onto his back. Antonio stood over him with his hands at his side and blood dripping down.

“You did this Rome. You made me sacrifice my own blood to get Chey back, so that she can gift me with my child. Nothing else matters, and there is nothing I won’t do.”

“Boss I…”

“Save it and get the hell out of my sight.” Rome slowly lifted himself up, shocked and scared. He turned to leave as fast as he could, limping hard and gripping his chest. It happened, he’d finally lost it. Antonio sat back down and brought the knife back to his forearm.

“Bring Chey home to me,” as he slid the blade across his arm. “Bring Chey home to me.” He just repeated it over and over as he drew more blood. “Bring Chey home” He whispered.