Blindsided by Love

Chapter 3

April 1, 2011, Annapolis MD

Preston swept Cheyenne up into his arms spinning her around. Her arms wrapped around his neck; in her hand she held the very first picture of her baby. No more than a smudge, but she knew it was just a matter of time before they would be able to tell if she was having a boy or a girl.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here on time," Preston said placing her feet back on the ground. He'd rushed home as soon they'd hit dry land, showered and rushed here hoping to catch her before she left. They stood outside the doctor's office smiling at each other. She hadn't expected him to make it at all and the fact that he'd gone out of his way to do so meant the world to her.

"Preston, you've done more than enough for me. I mean I wouldn't be safe if you..."

"We always said we would look out for each other right?" he said smiling down at her caramel colored face. He'd known she was beautiful the last time he'd seen her almost two weeks ago, but the way she was smiling happily now made her glow. He dipped his head causing their lips to meet in a soft kiss and felt her tense. "I'm sorry," he said pulling back. "I shouldn't have..." his words were cut off as she stood tiptoed to bring their lips back together.

"Are you sure about this?" She asked after she pulled back. "You know I have a lot of baggage."

"Yes," he said pulling her against his body. He threaded his fingers through her hair at the base of her skull and massaged her scalp.

"Why didn't we see this coming?" she asked with a smile.

"Cause we're stupid," he said with a laugh of his own. "Let's get home. I only have three days before I have to be back on base." He watched as her lips turned into a pout.

"You just got back," she said.

"I know, but I didn't tell anyone about you and I want to ease them into the idea of me being married. I know it doesn't much matter, but we've all been approached by women who just want to marry a soldier. You and I were married not too long ago in a court house wedding and you're pregnant. The first thing they are going to think is that you trapped me into this..."

"But it was your idea..." he placed his finger over her lips.

"I know it was my idea and probably the smartest thing I did in my entire life. Keeping you safe, I never thought I'd have a family Chey. It wasn't in my plans, but I think I've always known that if I was going to have a family it would have to be with someone I trusted and since I haven't been big on trusting women, that really only left you." He took a deep breath. "Please tell me I'm not alone. Please tell me that you are happy we did this."

"Of course I'm happy about it. I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think it was a good idea. I knew you would do everything you could to make me happy. I figured I'd return the favor. Which reminds me, I left dinner cooking. I'm making beef stew I wasn't sure if you would be coming home tomorrow or today." She said changing the subject. She wasn't sure if she could trust herself to fall in love with another man, but she did know whether she wanted to or not she trusted him.

          "Why don't you get into your car and I'll follow you back home." he said walking her toward the car he knew to be hers.

"Sounds good to me, lately I'm so tired all the time. The doctor said it's normal, but I used to have all this energy. I..."

"I promise we'll talk when we get home, but I don't want you driving when you're too tired. So drive home and I'll follow, then when we get there I'll rub your feet and you can tell me all about what the doctor told you. I want to know everything. Deal?" he said helping her into the car.

"Deal," she said. She drove home every once in a while looking out of her rearview mirror to see if he was still with her. When they arrived at the house she fixed them both bowls of stew and they ate in the living room. Afterward her feet rested in his lap as he rubbed them and she told him about her doctor's appointment. After a little while he realized that she hadn't said anything for a moment and looked over to find her sleeping quietly. He smiled and lifted her feet off of his lap. Then stood and lifted her small frame into his arms. This was his wife and this was hopefully going to be a regular occurrence.