Mama's Baby Papa's Maybe

Chapter 14

October 31, 2011

Jaxon stared down at the small bundle through the glass. He’d had the nurse confirm three times which child was the Kelley child and each time he couldn’t believe his eyes.

Chey looked down at her daughter. The baby was beautiful with a toffee complexion and green eyes, eyes just like her fathers. She thought she would hate if she saw any resemblance between the baby and its father, but no ill feelings came. She was waiting on Jaxon, because they’d decided that they would name her together, but he’d gone down to the nursery to see the baby and had yet to return.

“There you are,” she said sitting up as he came into the room. “Do you want to hold her?” she froze as she saw the angry look on his face.

“Preston was a fool,” He said simply. “He married the first woman claiming to be having his baby. It’s a good thing he didn’t tell us about you, we would never have let him marry a gold digging lie…”

“Jaxon I …I thought Preston told you about me in the letter?” she said.

“Don’t even say his name; he died thinking that his wife was a faithful woman and look at you now. You really hit the jackpot with me; I gave up my career for you, I moved you into my home and I’m such a sucker I fell in love with you and all this time you’ve been lying. You lectured me about trust. How the hell am I supposed to trust you when that baby is clearly biracial? I knew your husband and I’ve seen every inch of you and I know that baby should be darker. Who’s the father? Did you see him every time Preston was deployed or just the one time you got in trouble and called him frantically? I remember that day he said he had to take care of something back home, I should have stopped him and let you handle your own problems.”

“He didn’t tell you?” she whispered. “Is that the way you really feel? That I was just using you and Preston? I want you to think really hard before you answer because I didn’t ask to come live with you and Preston said himself that it was his idea to get married not mine. Do you remember the way we got to where we are? I fought you and your good intentions from day one, so you have no right to call me any of those names. Preston didn’t give you the whole story and once again I have to pay the price for it. I could explain everything to you in great detail, but I don’t like how easily those things came out of your mouth. I want you to leave Jaxon and I don’t want you to come back. Don’t worry about me and the baby we’ll find a way without your help.” He stood there stunned for a moment. “I said leave.” he could hear the tears that she was holding back in her voice, but he knew he couldn’t stay and fix this, not the way he was hurting. He wasn’t sure what to believe, so he turned and left.

Chey rested her weight back against her pillows and let the flood gates open. She cried until one of the nurses came in and gave her a mild sedative. They said it wouldn’t harm the baby, but that she needed to rest after the hours of labor she’d gone through.

“Hey,” Burt said shaking her shoulder to wake her up. “Jaxon called and said that you needed someone.”

“Hey, I’m fine,” she said. “You should go talk to Jaxon. He’s lost his damn mind, coming in here yelling at me after I’ve just given birth…”

“Speaking of, where is the little angel?” Burt asked cutting off her rant. He already knew Jaxon’s side of the story and wanted Chey’s but first he wanted to see his god child.

“I think the nurse took her down to the nursery after I fell asleep.” Burt pouted and she laughed. “They’ll be bringing her back in a while for a feeding.”

“Well in that case do you want to tell me what happened?”

“With Preston or with Jaxon?”

“I think the stories overlap, so just start from the beginning.” She smiled.

“Okay, it started when I found out I was pregnant. My ex Antonio is the father and we broke up.” She knew better than to go into the details. “When that happened I called Preston and he had the bright idea that he would be able to take care of me and the baby if we got married. I was scared and alone so I agreed. Later, as we lived together we actually did fall in love and we were happy together. Then he died and Jaxon came along, but the letter Preston left apparently didn’t tell Jaxon that the baby wasn’t his. Jaxon made a huge jump and called me all these names…all the things I was afraid you guys would think about me and so I kicked him out and I don’t care if he comes crawling through that door on his knees I’m not moving back in with him.”

“Where are you going to go?” she took a deep breath.

“I’ll figure something…”

“Are you sure you don’t want to just tell him what you told me?” Burt asked.

“Yes, he assumed the worst of me after knowing me. After I trusted him and let him in. I won’t make the same mistake again.”

“Then you are coming to stay at my place and before you try and say no think about what Social Services will do if they find out you’re homeless.”

“Fine, but I’m getting a job,” she said.

“No, you are going to get used to being a mother for a couple of months and then if you still feel you need to get a job I know the perfect place.”

“One day all you men are going to learn that I’m not a robot or a soldier and I don’t follow orders.”