You Have Me

Chapter 9

July 17, 2011, Annapolis, MD

The sun was shining down warming Chey’s arms as Jaxon wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer. She jumped when they shot their guns into the air and clutched the flag from the coffin to her chest as she listened to the roll call. When they got to Preston’s name they called out and no one answered her heart clinched. When it was finally over she didn’t think she had any tears left, that is until the whole team started coming up to offer their condolences.

Jaxon watched Chey closely. He knew she was exhausted and that the stress couldn’t be good for the baby. He’d already talked to Sarge and convinced him that he should convince Psych that he needed a few months on leave, to help Chey with the baby and anything else she needed help with. He tried not to be mad at Preston for not requesting the leave so he could have been helping Chey. Sarge would have granted it, there was nothing more important to him than family.

“Jax, I think you should get her home. She looks ready to collapse.” Burt said looking over at Chey standing next to the grave that was now filled with soil. “I’ve spoken with everyone. They will be happy to help, just give them the address and tell them what needs to be done. They were all so surprised that Kelley was married and it blew them away to find out that she’s pregnant and he kept it from us all.”

“I was his best friend and he didn’t even tell me. So I think we’re all in the same boat. I’ll see you later. I’m going to get her out of here.” Jaxon didn’t wait for a response he just walked over to Chey and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. She jumped at his touch, from the look in her eyes it was almost like she’d forgotten where she was.

“He’s always been there Jax. I’ve never been without him, what am I going to do now?” she asked leaning into his embrace.

“You’re going to let me help you now,” he said as though it was the most obvious thing in the world. “Let’s get you home. I don’t remember seeing you eat this morning.”

“I don’t have much of an appetite.” She said.

“We’ll see if Jr. will help with that,” Jaxon said hoping that reminding her about the baby would be enough to make her eat. He was relieved when she just nodded and let him lead her to the waiting car. He drove her home and was surprised when he pulled up to see the whole team there. He helped her out of the car and as they walked into the house they heard hushed conversations.

“There you two are,” Burt said walking up to them. “I figured we could have the wake here. There’s a buffet set up in the kitchen, why don’t you two go have something to eat.”

“You did this?” Jaxon asked looking at Burt. He’d known that a wake hadn’t been planned and he’d done that on purpose knowing that Chey would need time to recover after the funeral.

“Yeah, it was a terrible oversight on your part.” Burt said taking Chey’s arm and escorting her toward the kitchen. He waved a hand and one of the kitchen table chairs was suddenly empty. He lowered her into a seat and before she could think about getting back up a plate of food was sat in front of her. She looked around the room and noticed that there was nothing but huge Marines in her house. They were all talking and it felt as though they were struggling to act as though nothing was wrong.

“Hey,” Jaxon said sitting in the seat next to hers. “Remember Jr., is going to need to eat.” She nodded and picked up her fork. Jaxon watched as the food seemed to disappear before his eyes. “I guess Jr. really was hungry…”

“I’m having a girl,” she said as she burst into more tears. “I didn’t get to tell him that I was having a girl.” Jaxon was there again pulling her into his arms. She buried her face against his chest and they sat that way until the tears stopped. “I’m sorry I messed up your clothes.”

“Nothing a little dry cleaning won’t fix.” Jaxon said. “Look, why don’t you go up and get some rest. I’ll clear these guys out and clean up. We can go look at paint colors for the baby’s room.” She nodded and he kissed her forehead and watched as she made her way through the crowd.

“You’re doing a great job,” Burt said handing him a beer.

“Preston didn’t know he was going to be the proud father of a beautiful daughter.” Jaxon said bitterly.

“If the kid looks anything like the mother the man will be turning over in his grave trying to keep the boys away.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You mean to tell me you haven’t noticed how hot Preston’s widow is?” Burt asked.

“No, I’ve been too concerned with the fact that my best friend is dead and that she’s going to be raising her child alone. Plus the child will never know her father. I didn’t take the time to lust after her…”

“Whoa, no one said anything about lusting. Any man can tell she’s a looker and I know you’ve noticed even if you don’t want to admit it.” Jaxon knew that Burt was right. He’d been attracted to Chey since the moment she fainted, but he’d been ignoring it on purpose. She was off limits, because she was his best friend’s widow.

After clearing out all the guys Jaxon went through the room cleaning up the remnants of the wake. He put all of the food away and started going through the house turning off the lights. Then he made his way upstairs. He froze at the top of the steps hearing muffled crying from Chey’s room.

“Damn,” he said to himself. He contemplated just leaving her and letting her cry, but knew he couldn’t do it. He pushed open the door and saw her crying on the bed. He walked over and sat next to her, pulling her into his arms at the same time. He whispered soothingly to her and wondered how he’d known what to do. His family wasn’t overly affectionate, but the moment he’d seen her he knew he needed to wrap her in his arms and hold her.

“I don’t have anyone,” she whispered looking up at him.

“You have me,” he said, then without thinking dropped his head so that their lips met. It only lasted a second and he immediately felt like crap. He jumped off the bed. “I’m sorry; I think we both just need to get some rest.” The look on her face almost crushed him as he backed away. He stopped midstride and moved back to the bed. She clung to him, this time he simply lowered their bodies to the bed and pulled her close. She rested her head on his chest. “Go to sleep Chey, I promise everything will be alright.”