Sunset

-Calum-

"Here, hang on to me" I told her, then she laced her fingers through mine while holding on to her heels in the other.

We hopped down the rocks and landed in the soft and slightly damp sand, side by side.
The waves were crashing down on the shore and the breeze began to pick up. For a summer evening in LA, the weather wasn't what it should be. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed dinner and the evening has been going better than I could have expected.

The way Skyler listens so intently, holding on to every word I say, makes me feel like she genuinely cares. I can't help but laugh with her when she starts to giggle, always covering her mouth when something is supremely funny. It's crazy how I feel so comfortable just being myself around her, a complete dork, and it's only been a few hours.

I look over at her as the sun makes its final decent across the horizon.

"Wow, the sunsets here are breathtaking. You know, that's one thing I love more than anything. I could just watch the sun fall along the ocean forever." she says.

Something so simple seems to make her so happy.

"Me too." I reply, thinking I could watch the sunset, sunrise, or the sun burst into a million little pieces as long as it was with her.

Once we can no longer see the sun, we unlock our hands from one another to sit down on the shore. It's gotten dark but the dim lights of the city behind us leave our surroundings glowing.

"So... I've really enjoyed this evening. Thanks for um, you know, letting me make it up to you and all."

"Calum, can I be honest?" she asks shyly.

Kind of scared as to what she might say, I just nod my head.

"Listen, I wouldn't normally just say this on a first date or whatever this is, but this is obviously not your typical date night. I've had a really fantastic evening, like one of the best I have ever had. You weren't who I misjudged you for last time, I know that now. I'm sorry for that. I'm sorry that you felt like you owed me a pity date or something but thank you for it anyways..." she glances over at me before continuing.

"... So obviously this is just like a really awesome night for me to have, like you've managed to allow me to believe dreams do come true. I don't want to be all cheesy, but yeah I just wanted you to know how much this all means to me. Thank you, Calum, really, thank you."