Chapter 35: Vampire Hunt (5)

[The Bael Clan's Castle: Two Days After Azrail and Rias' Engagement Ceremony.]

"That's what happened at the banquet, Ancestor..."

"Very well."

Zekram stared at Sairaorg, who stood in front of him without showing any visible signs of panic or nervousness.

'Such a brilliant and ambitious young devil... Only if he were born with the Bael's [Power of Destruction], he would've been the most suitable heir candidate...'

It was a shame.

There weren't many devils whose performance exceeded Sairaorg's at such a young age. Even in the current generation, there was only a single devil who exceeded the Great King's Heir.

"You may leave."

"Yes, Ancestor."

Sairaorg respectfully bowed before walking out of the room.

"Hmm..."

After his descendant left, Zekram leisurely read through the several files on his table.

"The information Sirzechs provided on the criminals leaves no doubt whatsoever. Everything from the beginning to the end makes perfect sense..."

These files held information about the criminals responsible for abducting several individuals from the underworld within the past few years.

From the motives behind their actions to what happened to the captives, along with the testimonies from the witnesses and criminals, Zekram couldn't find any inconsistencies in the reports.

"I have read those reports myself, and they make perfect sense. I can't deny that..."

The Agares Clan's Transportation Magic Circle appeared on the ground, followed by the appearance of a middle-aged man with greenish-blonde hair.

Naturally, Zekram recognised that person.

He was the Agares Clan's Head, the current Archduke.

"But I didn't contact you solely on baseless assumptions, Lord Zekram. I can prove that someone fabricated these reports, or at least, parts of them..."

Zekram watched as Lord Agares raised his hand and summoned a lantern with a golden flame burning inside.

'The method I created to confirm whether the descendants of our clan were alive or not during the Great War. I remember sharing it with the First Archduke...'

It was a method passed down within the heads of Bael and Agares households to ensure the safety of their descendants.

Each pure-blooded descendant had a lantern registered to them on birth, and as long as the descendant stayed alive, the flame inside would burn forever.

At times of war, they used it to check on the clan members who had left for battle, but over time, it became a tradition for the clan heads.

"I see... So that's your proof."

It didn't take long for Zekram to understand Lord Agares' intentions.

The reports stated that the criminals had already killed the captives with no survivors remaining, including the pure-blooded devil abducted from the Agares Clan.

Their bodies had long since been sacrificed, so they couldn't retrieve any corpses either.

But since Lord Agares could prove that his clan's descendant was alive, there were only two options.

'It could be that Sirzechs and his subordinates missed something during their investigation, which is highly unlikely since they emphasised the deaths of all victims. Or, they are deliberately covering up parts of the actual incident to hide something...'