Chapter 11: The Bael Clan's Banquet (1)

In the middle of the night, I silently got up from the bed, making sure not to wake Latia up accidentally.

Alice, who stood beside our bed, handed me a pair of sunglasses and a face mask similar to the ones she was wearing.

Since the teacher and her student were bound to share the same brain cells, I wore them without any complaints.

"Alice, did the target leave?"

"It did." Alice nodded.

"Then, let's go."

Leaving the peacefully sleeping Latia alone, we teleported away to complete our 'secret' mission.

.
.
.

[The Kuoh Park.]

At the  park's centre, a man and a woman were standing in front of the fountain, hugging each other as tightly as they could. It was apparent that neither of them wanted to let the other go.

Naturally, the lovebirds were none other than Cleria and Masaomi—a couple that chose to stay together despite their differences, standing against the world for what they cherished the most.

It was a beautiful sight—was what a romance lover would say, but sadly, that wasn't a genre I preferred.

"My, this is quite the spectacular display..."

Alice looked amused by the sight of a couple meeting in secret during the middle of the night.

"This is a breach of privacy, but yeah, it's interesting to watch."

I removed the mask and sunglasses from my face.

"But it's rare... For a High-Class Pure Blooded Devil to fall in love with a Human from the Church."

"I would've understood if Cleria was playing around with that exorcist to pass some time, but it looks like she genuinely loves him."

"That's cruel, Azrail..."

"I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but isn't that the 'normal' for Devils, though?"

Some of the Pillar Clans even taught their descendants that there was nothing wrong about playing with human lives for entertainment, after all.

"You're not wrong about that, but... I don't like the thought of someone playing with a person's feelings, even if they're an enemy."

Should Alice be considered compassionate or naive?

I had no idea.

"You seem fascinated by the idea of enemies becoming lovers, don't you, Alice?"

"A-Ahem!" Alice faked a cough, looking a bit embarrassed. "No, I was just intrigued."

"Are you sure about that? Weren't you the one reading the book about Sirzechs and Grayfia's love story..." Alice's body froze at my words, but I continued with an overly dramatic tone. "You even commented on how they fell in love amidst the Devil Civil War, saying that love knows no bounds..."

"H-H-How do you remember that!?"

The blonde's face reddened almost instantly.

She once read that book to me as a bedtime story three years ago, and even though I could speak fluently back then, she probably never imagined that I'd remember something from that age.

"Hmmm. What did you say back then? Ah, right. Your exact words were, 'Ah... How I wish for someone to pin me to the wall and express their feel—Mmpph!!!"