Chapter 23: Six Months (1)

Elmenhilde Karnstein Pov:

"Lady Elmenhilde, Lady Millacra, welcome back."

The moment we appeared outside the gates of the Karnstein Household's Castle, the guards respectfully bowed towards me and Millacra.

"Go and inform Queen Carmilla that we are requesting an audience with her. While we wait for her reply, we'll be resting in our rooms."

"Yes, Lady Elmenhilde."

At my orders, one of the guards bowed and turned into a flock of bats before moving away.

"I'll see you when Queen Carmilla calls for us, Millacra."

"Rest well, Elmen. You have worked very hard on this investigation."

"Indeed, you too, Millacra. Take care of yourself."

With that, the two of us separated, and a servant escorted me to my room.

"Is there anything else I could do for you, Lady Elmenhilde?"

"No. You may leave."

"Please call me if there is anything."

After bowing once more, the servant closed the door and walked away.

Thud!*

The moment the door to my room closed, strength seemed to disappear from my body while my legs went soft, and I fell to the ground, panting heavily as my skin touched the cold floor.

It was impossible to keep the act as I had for the past three days, and my body trembled every time his face appeared inside my mind.

"I... I survived, and Millacra is safe, too."

Instinctively, my body curled up, trying to calm myself.

I could forcefully suppress the fear in my heart in his presence, but when alone, the suppressed fear started to take over my consciousness. It was impossible to hide it any longer.

Unknowingly, tears started falling down my eyes.

I vividly remembered everything—every pin that pierced my skin, every time my skin got slashed, when every bone in my body was broken, when my eyeballs were cut in half, and when my limbs were stretched until they almost ripped apart, tearing every muscle in my body.

It was terrifying, but that wasn't all.

The thing that scared me the most was the look in his eyes.

He did all that without the tiniest hints of emotions in his eyes, making it look like it was just a mundane task for him to do, nothing more, nothing less.

It was even worse than how Pure-Blooded Vampires looked at Dhampirs. No. It wasn't even comparable to the racial discrimination our species had.

Vampires looked at Mixed Breeds with disgust, but those eyes never saw me as a living being. To them, I was no different than a possession, something they owned.

A shiver ran down my spine.

Was this how Mixed Breeds felt when faced with a Pure-Blooded Vampire?

No.

It was worse than that.

Mixed Breeds knew that they were beneath Vampires and got looked down upon with disgust, but he looked at me as if I was an object he owned.

My position was at his feet, prostrating in front of him, just like an obedient slave or pet, whatever sounded more humiliating.

He made our relationship clear the moment it was established, and I had no say in it.