Chapter 1: Reincarnation (1)

'What the fuck is going on...?'

It felt like my mind had stopped after looking at my body, which was, for some reason, almost transparent.

No idea how, but I found myself sitting on a chair. In front of me was a man in his early twenties sitting across the table while reading a book that appeared to be a light novel, although what surprised me was the title of that book.

[High School DxD]

It was a title that I, someone who had read many light novels in his youth, was unfamiliar with.

At the corner of the table, there was a nameplate that most likely referred to the person in front of me, and accompanying that were several dozen manga volumes and light novels.

[Assistant Manager Kim.]

[Reincarnation Administrator.]

If this was a dream, it was strangely detailed.

For a good few seconds, Manager Kim didn't even notice my existence, focusing solely on the light novel in his hands.

"... This is annoying."

Out of nowhere, Manager Kim growled in annoyance, and his hands started clenching a little harder around the book.

After looking at the book in his hands, I decided to check if I could physically interact with things other than the chair, but unsurprisingly, my hand went right through the table in front of me.

'So physical contact is a no, huh? What about my ability to speak?'

"Ahem!"

The light cough confirmed that my ability to speak was still intact despite the lack of a physical body, which was weird, but so was this whole situation, and there was nothing to do about it.

"Hm?" Manager Kim turned toward me, surprise evident in his eyes as he examined me. "A new soul? It's been 400 years since someone with enough Positive or Negative Karma showed up for reincarnation."

Soon, a crystal ball appeared on the table, resting above the pile of light novels, and he continued.

"Place your hand on this crystal ball."

I had my doubts but still complied with Manager Kim's words, placing my hand above the crystal ball, and after a few seconds, a mechanical voice came from it.

{Calculating Karma, please wait.}

Manager Kim nodded before handing over a file to me. The file wasn't thick, only containing a single page inside.

"It'll answer the common questions most people ask after coming here; as for the Karma Calculator, it'll take around 45 minutes, so don't disturb me until then."

"Okay."

With those words, he went back to reading High School DxD, and my attention drifted towards the file in my hands, reading through the contents written on it.

[Welcome to the Reincarnation Centre, a place everyone who reincarnates must go through, including all the reincarnated protagonists you've heard about. In case someone unaffiliated decides to reincarnate another person, they are required to ask the Reincarnation Centre for permission.]

I'd feel disappointed if this wasn't a dream, but alas, throwing a tantrum wouldn't help the situation.

[To make it simple, it was the reincarnation centre that merged Leylin Farlier's A.I. Chip with his soul as a bonus, but similar to everyone else, he lost his memories of this place, a mandatory procedure for every reincarnation, with his soul transcending to his new world.]