Chapter 14: The Overseer of Bucharest (1)

"Uh... Is it okay for someone of your status to hold a child hostage like this, Lord Belial?"

Diehauser's grip around my throat loosened enough for me to breathe normally, and he narrowed his eyes. He stared at me as if pondering about something.

From how it looked, he probably captured me on instinct without even realising that the one he caught was such a cute and innocent child.

"Why are you here?"

"I came to visit Cleria."

"How do you know her?"

"I visited Kuoh Town with my caretaker not too long ago and met Cleria during our stay here; we even had dinner together... My caretaker also gave her relationship advice, although it was borderline terrible..."

"Why should I believe you?"

"Well... It's no longer about you believing me; it's already too late."

"Too late?"

Diehauser seemed confused at my comment, but soon, his eyes widened slightly, and he hurriedly turned around.

I had no idea how it happened, but Alice was standing behind Diehauser with a sword in her hand, pointing the tip right at Diehauser's throat.

Everything happened so fast that my eyes couldn't even register a single detail, and it took me a second to notice that Alice held two swords—one in each hand.

That meant she was serious, unlike how she always fought me with one hand behind her back.

Alice's main fighting style was dual welding, which went perfectly with her being naturally ambidextrous.

"Lord Belial, if I don't receive a reasonable explanation for the current situation, you can forget about leaving this place with all your limbs attached..."

"Ms. Alice?"

Diehauser was visibly surprised when he looked at Alice's face, and honestly, so was I, but for different reasons.

Unlike her usual friendly and easygoing expression or the professional one that she had at the banquet, her face right now was as if she was ready to kill Diehauser if he said something wrong, with her eyes glowing yellow thanks to her surging Demonic Power.

Although, I had no idea if she could do so or not.

Diehauser didn't seem to mind the threat, and he calmed down.

"If you're here, then this boy is..."

"The younger brother of Satan Beelzebub."

"I see..." Diehauser slowly placed me on the ground. "I apologise for attacking you out of the blue. It was unbecoming of me to act that way towards a child..."

It was an honest apology.

"What in the world can put Lord Belial on the edge?"

'Alice, you can lower your sword now; it's almost digging into Diehauser's throat...'

"The answer is right behind you, Ms. Alice..."

Alice looked at Diehauser and lowered her sword as the yellow glow in her eyes disappeared before she turned around.

Since I couldn't see anything with Diehauser standing ahead of me, I leaned towards my right and saw something that wasn't out of my expectations.

Cleria's dead body was lying on the table with a large hole in her stomach.