Happily Ever After

"Are you sure you don't want to come and stay with us?" I say to Jenna as I sit on the bed and watch Alexander finish packing up my things.

"Yeah, girl," she says. "You should be with him. I've been saying that from the beginning. He's the father of your baby and you need to live with him."

"You're not going back to Manhattan, are you?" I ask.

"No. I have a date on Friday!"

"You do?" 

"Yep! I called that delivery guy and asked him out!"

I laugh. "Girl."

"Anyway, I'm out," she says.

"Where are you going?" I ask her.

"I still have a job, little-miss I have a billionaire to support me."

"Okay," I say. "See you later."

"Savannah," Alexander says to me, peeking his head out of my closet. "Let's take a break and get some food?"

"Okay," I say and hold my hand out for his to help me stand. "Can you get my boots from the closet?"

"Yeah," he says and goes inside the closet to find my boots. "Black Uggs or the other things?"

"Black Uggs. Oh, and grab my green jacket too."

He emerges from the closet holding my boots and jacket, sitting next to me on the bed. "What are you hungry for?" he asks.

"I'm not really that hungry. My back hurts a lot."

He starts rubbing my back and says, "What can I do?"

"I'm not sure. It's been aching all morning."

"Should you call your doctor?"

I shrug. "I don't know. I mean, it's not that bad. It's just a back ache."

"All right, then c'mon. Let's go get some food," he says and helps me stand. 

We walk out of the apartment and down the stairs, and someone sitting on the stairs smoking weed says, "Hey, buddy, wanna share?" and looks me up and down.

Alexander leans down, chokes him around the neck, and says, "Say anything about her again and you're a dead man. No. Strike that. Even look at her again and they'll never find your body." Then he tosses him to the side and the man mumbles, "Fuck you, buddy. Was just having a peek of your little lady."

"I want you out of this apartment building today, Savannah."

"We're leaving," I say as we step outside.

He glances back at me and says, "What would possess you to even rent a place like this?"

I shrug. "I needed a place and I was short on money. All we had was the few thousand dollars I had left from Marie Antoinette and whatever Jenna had from her savings."

Alexander takes my hand in his as we walk down the street and he says, "I want to take care of you. Just let me take care of you."

I glance up at his face as I say, "Prove it to me then."

"I thought I had. I bought you a huge diamond ring, I proposed, I bought you a house. What else do you need?"

"Faithfulness and honesty."

His eyes look down at me and he says, "I didn't cheat on you. I have someone looking into that picture, but I have a feeling it has to do with my father."

"Your father? Why?"

"He wants my mother's money. He's trying to keep us apart." Alexander stops on the sidewalk and turns me to face him as he says, "I didn't want to tell you this yet and cause you more stress, but I found out that it was my father who was paying Jim Taylor to do all of those things to you, Savannah."

I'm speechless and I just stand there staring at him. It all seems unreal that someone could love money so much to want to destroy his own son's life. But it's real, and Alexander's dad is doing just this. 

"I'm sorry," he says. "Say something."

"Did he cut your brake lines too?"

"I'm not sure."

My eyes tear up and he says, "Don't worry."

"I'm just afraid for out baby. What if your father tries to do something to me or him."

"He won't. I swear it."

I nod.

Alexander brushes his thumb against my cheek and says, "So, what do you say? Can I have another chance?"

"If even one time..."

Shaking his head, he says, "No. I promise. We're gonna live happily ever after."

As he says that, the pain I was feeling in my back, I start feeling in my abdomen.

"Lex," I say and reach out for his arm. 

"What is it?"

"Maybe we need to go see my doctor."