A surprise

"You were amazing," Alexander says as I walk into my dressing room after the show.

I spin, smiling at him. 

"Get changed and come on. I want to take you somewhere," he says.

"Where?" I say, and take off my wig, wiping off all the makeup too. 

He comes up behind me and places kisses along my neckline while he unzips my dress, and he says, "Somewhere special. So, come on."

I hurry out of my costume and into my jeans and sweater, slip on my shoes, and then walk outside to his car.

"Really, Lex," I say, getting in. "Where are you taking me?"

"It's a surprise."

We drive a while and he leaves the city, so now I'm very curious. 

"Alexander, tell me what we're doing," I say.

"We're almost there," he says.

We're about 45 minutes out of the city now and he turns down a long driveway and I see rolling hills and a large white house sitting between rows of trees. The house is like something out of a storybook with black shudders and a large, covered porch.

"Alexander," I say. "What is this?"

"I told you," he says. "I bought you a house."

I turn to face him. "You were serious?"

"Of course I was. You said you want kids. I do too... with you." He parks the car in front of the house and comes around to my side taking my hand to lead me inside. "Come on. I want to show you around," he says.

We walk up the front stairs and I notice a porch swing off to the right under the covered porch. He unlocks the front door and I am captivated. This house is more beautiful than the photos. There's a long staircase in the entry and the large chandelier lights up the entry above the front door beautifully. I look down at my feet and notice the elegant oak floors that stand out against light green walls. As we walk through the house, I look next to me at Alexander and imagine living life here with him and wonder what it might be like.

"What do you think?" he asks when we enter the living room and he pauses in front of the large brick fireplace.

"Lex, it's a dream," I say.

"Do you like it?"

"I love it."

"Good. There's something I want to ask you," he says.

"Lex..."

"Don't worry. I'm not asking you to marry me again yet. I'm tired of getting told no."

I smile and say, "Good. I'm tired of telling you no."

He reaches his hand to my face and holds my cheek as he says, "My dad and stepmom are having an anniversary party tomorrow. Will you attend with me?"

"It's not on a boat, is it?"

He chuckles. "No. It's not. It's going to be at the Plaza."

My eyes light up. "Will you be getting us a room?"

He smiles. "If you attend with me, I'll get you whatever your heart desires."

"A new dress?"

"Of course."

I walk around the living room once as I debate seeing his family again, especially after breaking up with him because I know his father will have something rude to say about it, and I wonder if any of his previous girlfriends will be there as well. Looking over this gorgeous house, I almost don't care about his previous lovers because I know he didn't buy them a house... or did he?

"Lex," I say. 

He looks over at me from where he's pouring a drink at the bar. "Hm?"

"When did you plan on using this house?"

He shrugs. "Whenever you want, I guess. I bought it for you... for us."

"But you want me to sign the contract."

"Eventually, yes."

I nod. "Can I stay here with you tonight?"

"I hoped you would."