Mr. Holt

Alexander's been gone a while now having his tests, and I'm sitting in his room digesting the realization of what the attorney said to me.

"Your family is going to hate me," I say to Jocelyn.

"Why?" she asks, sipping her drink.

"Because Alexander is leaving everything to me someday."

"So? What does my family have to do with anything? I would expect nothing different since you're marrying him."

Jocelyn's phone rings and she says, "Hello? Dad...um, he's having tests done...Presbyterian...we don't know a lot...Savannah's right here...Beddington was here...I don't know, Dad...I'm sure he did...why do you even care...Savannah, of course...I'm gonna go...bye."

She hangs up and sighs. "This is what it's like to be rich, Savannah. People only love you for your money."

Placing my hand on her knee I say, "Not me. I don't. What did he say?"

She rolls her eyes and says, "He wanted to know if Alexander's attorney discussed who Xander was leaving his assets to in case he didn't make it. I told him of course Xander was leaving it to you. He was unhappy, but don't let it upset you, girl."

"How can I not let it upset me?"

My phone dings and I check a text.

I inhale and Jocelyn says, "What is it?"

I show her the text.

"Pay no mind to it. There's nothing he can do. Besides, Alexander isn't dead yet."

"Yet," I say, wiping tears from my eyes. "Jocelyn, what am I going to do? I'm having his baby. I can't do this alone."

"It does no good to think of these things before they happen. Even if he dies, he left you... you not our father, with 16 billion dollars. That's plenty to care for a child."

I sniffle and wipe my eyes, saying, "But I can't do it alone. I need him. This baby is going to need his daddy."

"You still have him, sweetie. He isn't gone yet."

She stays silent a few moments before she says, "His?"

I glance at my tummy and say, "Just a hunch. It's too early to know. I'm due in December."

"Alexander will be ecstatic," Jocelyn says. "I know he will."

I wipe more tears and say, "People think he is some kind of unfeeling asshole, but he's not. He's the kindest, most generous man I have ever met. I love him, Jocelyn, I can't do this without him."

Jocelyn places her hand on my shoulder and says, "You won't have to. I know you won't. He's gonna be okay."

"I need to take a walk," I say and stand.

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"No. Stay here in case they come back. Call me if they do."

I stand and walk out to the main lobby of the hospital, thinking about everything that's happening. Jenna texts me as I'm walking.

I slip my phone back into my pocket and as I put a few dollars into the vending machine, I hear, "Savannah

I slip my phone back into my pocket and as I put a few dollars into the vending machine, I hear, "Savannah."

I look behind me and see Alexander's dad standing there.

"Hello," I say.

"We need to talk."

"About?"

"I think you know."

"Um..."

He narrows his eyes and says, "My son is one of the richest men in the world and I find it absolutely necessary to find out why he is leaving all of his assets to you. What are you trying to pull?"

"Nothing. We love each other."

"You won't win. Believe me when I say this to you.