Maybe

Alexander

I'm finishing up work late at my desk when my phone rings. I almost ignore it and shove it into my pocket until I see it's Savannah's number.

"Savannah?" I say.

"Alexander, it's Jenna."

"Jenna? What is it? Is something the matter with Savannah?"

"She's sick," Jenna says.

"What do you mean?" 

"After she talked to you earlier, she started feeling off and having a terrible headache. I took her to the ER and they admitted her," Jenna says.

"What's wrong? Is she alright?"

"Alexander, Savannah doesn't know I called you, but I think you need to get out here right away,"  Jenna says.

"What? Why? Jenna tell me what's wrong," I say as I rush out of my office and to the elevator.

"They say she has something called Eclampsia."

"What is it?"

"Alexander, they're saying she could die."

"No. I'm coming," I say and get in my car. Then I make the necessary arrangements to leave right away and head to my plane without even stopping at my penthouse first. I moved back there when Savannah left me. It doesn't feel right living there without her. I bought the house for her and life stops without her. She has to be alright. 

When I get to the airport, the pilot for my small plane is there waiting. 

"All ready for you, sir," he says.

I step on and take my usual seat. Then I text Savannah's phone, hoping Savannah answers me, not Jenna.

She doesn't respond and I know she's probably annoyed, but I don't care

She doesn't respond and I know she's probably annoyed, but I don't care. A few hours later, I get another text from Savannah's phone, this time from Jenna. 

When I get to LA, I hurry to her apartment, but when I get there, I'm angry at what I see

When I get to LA, I hurry to her apartment, but when I get there, I'm angry at what I see. This place is small, in a horrible part of town, and is pretty dumpy.

I knock on the door and Jenna answers. 

"Alexander," she says. "I never thought I'd be so happy to see your face."

"Why?"

"She's really sick," Jenna says and grabs my arm, pulling me through that dumpy apartment with paint chipping, worn-out carpet, and a horrible odor covered up with the scent of girlie candles.

We enter the bedroom and I see her lying on the bed asleep, so I walk over to her and instinctively place my hand on her pregnant belly to feel my child growing inside her.

Her eyes open at my touch.

"Savannah," I whisper. "It's just me."

"Alexander?" she says, sitting up a bit.

"Yeah."

"Why are you here?"

"Jenna called me and told me how sick you are. I want to be here for you," I say, and I reach my hand onto her exposed belly again. As she shifts her body, I feel the baby move inside her and it makes me smile.

"I think he senses you're his daddy," she says. 

I look at her beautiful eyes and want so badly to kiss her, but I know I can't.

"I've missed you so much," I say.

"Believe it or not, Lex, I missed you too. I didn't break up with you because I don't love or care about you. I broke up with you because of the way you behave," she says.

"Give me another chance, Savannah. I promise I can do better. I've had a lot of time to think about things. I know I screwed up, but if you give me another chance, I'll make it up to you. Please. Life sucks without you."

"I just don't know, Lex."

"I can move here, if that's what you want. Savannah, let me at least get you a better place to stay. I don't want our baby living in this dump. There were people doing drugs on my way up the stairs."

She laughs. "I'm poor."

"I know. But I'm not. If you want to live here, I'll conduct business here."

"It's not that."

"Then what is it?" I ask.

"It was the contract, the media, the lies, everything. I just felt so suffocated. I had to get away."

"How can I make it work? Tell me what I have to do. I'll do it," I beg.

She doesn't say anything, but she grabs my hand and places it on her bare belly and I feel the baby shift inside her.

"Wow," I say. "This just makes me love you even more."

I lean down and kiss her belly.

"Lex..." she says as my lips rest there for a moment.

"I can't help myself."

As I rest my face on her abdomen, I feel her fingers brush through my hair and she says, "I'm glad you're here."

"Let me get you a place to live," I say and look at her eyes.

"Alright. But I want to live here. I can't go back to Manhattan. Not yet."

"Can I stay with you for a little while?"

"I'll think about it."