He's here

Jocelyn and I walk into a shop, and she asks, "Is my brother taking you out for dinner tonight?"

"Yeah. Probably to my favorite Italian place," I say.

"Then it's a good thing you just had your nails done!"

She hurries over to a rack and pulls out a slinky black mini dress that scoops low in the front. "You should buy a new dress to wear."

I smile, shaking my head at her. "No."

"Yes. What size are you?"

"Jocelyn, no."

"He won't care. I promise. Size?"

I sigh. "Small."

She searches for my size and pulls it off the rack then hands it to me.

"Here. Now, go try it on and I'll pick out shoes." I take the dress from her hands and walk to the fitting rooms to try it on. I walk out to show her a few minutes later, but I pause and gasp.

"What is it, Savannah?" she says. "What's the matter, sweetie? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Jocelyn glances behind her at the man leaning on the far wall with his arms across his chest, grinning sinisterly at me.

I say nothing but turn and rush back to the fitting room, slamming the door closed behind me and I pull out my cell phone, texting Alexander as I breathe heavily.

He doesn't respond right away, and I know he has meetings today, so I just stay put in the fitting room for 10 minutes or so until he finally responds.

I get no reply, so I take a deep breath, take the dress off, and put my clothes back on. When I step out of the fitting room, Alexander is standing there.

"Lex? What are you doing here?"

"Get your things and let's go."

I glance over at Jocelyn who shrugs and half shakes her head and nods at the same time, which confuses me.

"I was gonna buy this dress," I say, handing the dress to him.

He grabs the dress, holds my arm with a firm grip, and takes me up to the register.

"That'll be $987.65."

Alexander pulls out his card, handing it to her.

Once she hands him the bag, he grabs my arm again, pulling me out of the store.

"Why are you behaving like this?" I say.

"You texted me to tell me he was here."

"Yeah, to tell you I was nervous he was still following me, not to have you show up here like some controlling deranged boyfriend."

"I'm not," he says and whisks me around.

"Where's Jocelyn?" I ask.

"I told her to leave."

"Why?" I ask.

"I don't want you going out anymore until I figure out who this asshole is," he says.

I roll my eyes and sigh. "Alexander, listen, the guy creeps me out, but he isn't gonna do anything."

"You don't know that," he says.

"I do," I say and cross my arms looking away from him.

"You're staying in the apartment," he says.

"What about my performance tomorrow?"

"Too bad."

"Huh," I say, almost laughing. "Alexander, you can't treat me like a piece of property."

"When you sign that contract, I can do whatever I want," he says.

My eyes widen and I scoff once more. "This is why I haven't signed it," I say and turn around, walking away from him.

"Savannah!" he yells and hurries up behind me, grasping my arm.

"Alexander, let me go."

"No."

I narrow my eyes and say, "Now."

"No."

There are people all around, some of whom are watching us, and most people in the city know who he is, so I take a chance on that and yank my arm out of his grip and say, "Don't follow me."