Christmas

"Savannah!" Jocelyn says when we walk into the pub later that evening. She hurries up to me as quickly as she can in her stiletto knee-high boots and skin-tight dress, and she grabs my shoulders, pulling me close as she kisses both of my cheeks. "How are you?"

"I'm good. It's nice to see you too," I say.

"Xander," she says, "Why have you kept her away so long?" 

"It's been a week," he says and pulls out a chair for me to sit.

"Xander, a week is a record when it comes to relationships for you anyhow, so I just want to get to know this beauty in case she decides to stick around for the long term."

The man sitting next to Jocelyn extends his hand and says, "Brian, nice to meet you..."

"Savannah," I say.

"Drink?" he asks.

"Oh, um... just an iced tea," I say.

"That's all you want?" he asks. "On me. It's my bar."

I nod. "I'm not really a drinker."

"A tea it is," he says and walks away with Lex beside him.

"So, you two," Jocelyn says. "What have you been up to?"

"Lex took me to France for the weekend. It was..." I sigh, close my eyes, and blush.

"Yeah, that's usually the reaction women have to him," she says with a laugh, shaking her head. "We should have a girl's day, just me and you."

"Like shopping or something?"

"Yeah. The works. We'll do lunch, go to all the best shops, and then maybe hit the salon and get mani/pedis."

I smile but say, "That sounds great, but I'm in a bit of a money pinch right now."

"Oh."

Alexander walks up and hands me a glass of tea, and Jocelyn says to him, "Xander, give her your credit card."

Without hesitation, he reaches into his wallet and pulls out a card, handing it to me. 

"No, it's fine."

"Yes," Jocelyn says. "Take it. Trust me. He can afford it."

"I can," he says, placing it on the table in front of me.

"I want to go shopping with Savannah and have lunch, and do girl things," Jocelyn says.

"I didn't ask," Alexander says. "Take it. Go. Do. I want you to."

I pick up the card and say, "I'll think about it."

"Great. Now that that's settled, let's talk about Christmas. What are your plans?" Jocelyn asks.

"None," Alexander says.

"Aw, why not?" Jocelyn says.

"I don't do Christmas. You know that," he says.

"Savannah, use this as the permission you need to force him into Christmas."

Alexander doesn't say anything in response to his sister but instead gets up and walks to the bathroom.

"What was that about?" I whisper to Jocelyn.

"His mother died on Christmas," she says.

"His mother? Are you not..."

"Alexander and I have the same father. But our father wasn't the most faithful of men, and I'm not actually sure who my mother is."

"Oh."

She shrugs. "My father just raised me and all I know is Alexander and I have different mothers."

"I'm sorry," I say.

"It's fine. Really, it is. Alexander's mother treated me like her own. She was a remarkable woman. why our father treated her the way he did, I'll never understand."

"Is that why he acts so..."

Alexander walks up and says, "Why I act so what?"

"Nothing," I say.

"Am I always the topic of conversation?" he asks as he sits down.

"How do you know we were discussing you?" I say with a flirtatious smile.

"I don't."

"Right. You assumed," I say.

"Anyway, Christmas," Jocelyn says.

"You two are welcome to do whatever you want but don't expect me to get involved. I am who I am," Alexander says.

"Lex," I say, wrapping my arms around his. "Not even a Christmas tree in your apartment or anything?"

He takes a swig from his beer and says, "Nothing."